Light-O-Rama Forums

Beat Wizard Can't init conversion

BrownOut

Hello. I just purchased my first LOR controller and the standard version of the software. When I try and import songs and use the Beat Wizard, I get the error "Can't init conversion".

I have tried converting to both MP3 and WAV audio files with multiple applications. Only about 1/3 of my songs will open. This is on a workstation with a clean install of WinXP SP3 installed. I have tried using Audacity with LAME plugin, iTunes with the MP3 export option checked and many other applications. I even installed LOR software on another workstation running Win7. I also tried converting songs on my Mac and moving the files over- same result- most songs will just not work.

I am at the point I am ready to return the two controllers and cosmic color ribbon I just purchased... I guess I will be out the money for the software.

I have read forums and tried solutions listed without a resolution. Any other ideas?

Thanks- Logan

http://kittycat.net/download/01%20Cemetary%20Gates.mp3

http://kittycat.net/download/01%20Cemetary%20Gates.mp3

Don wrote:

Try running the MP3 you attached through Audacity. I did, and the Sequence Editor was then able to run the beat wizard.

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

(Or email me, and I'll email the file back to you. don@synchronizedchristmas.com.)

Thanks for you help Don- I have emailed you.

I have used this same guide you have linked to and followed the directions step by step and get and still get the same results. I even disabled my antivirus for testing to see if it was blocking something.

Sounds to me like it's having trouble converting the waveform. Make sure you have the waveform turned off and then try to bring in the song again.

Also look in your audio folder for a file with the name of the song and a .lpx entension and delete it. That should fix the problem as it will create a new waveform file.

It also works fine for me after I put it through Audacity.

Perhaps the reason it's not working for you after you use Audacity is some sort of Audacity setting that you have. I would suggest converting it to a WAV file instead of an MP3; I suspect that that will work.

If you need it as an MP3 (for example if you're going to download it to an MP3 Director), I suggest converting it to WAV anyway, to see what happens, and then converting that WAV file back to MP3.

bob wrote:

It also works fine for me after I put it through Audacity.

Perhaps the reason it's not working for you after you use Audacity is some sort of Audacity setting that you have.  I would suggest converting it to a WAV file instead of an MP3; I suspect that that will work.

If you need it as an MP3 (for example if you're going to download it to an MP3 Director), I suggest converting it to WAV anyway, to see what happens, and then converting that WAV file back to MP3.

I have been using Audacity and also tried converting to WAV then MP3. I did find out that if the song is less than 5 minutes long, it will work. If I make it 5 minutes and 2 second- same error.

EDIT: I should add that I can get started now with shorter clips and I do plan on buying more LOR equipment. I have the light bug and have it bad. My wife says I am part moth.

Thanks for the input.

I have been using Audacity and also tried converting to WAV then MP3. I did find out that if the song is less than 5 minutes long, it will work. If I make it 5 minutes and 2 second- same error.

As an MP3 or as a WAV?