Light-O-Rama Forums

Audacity

Donny M. Carter

I have tried and cannot figure it out. Can I remove the words from a song in Audacity? If so how please.

With some patience, you can splice out vocal sections, if that leaves you enough of the rest, and if you can find good places to make clean splices.

I found this online, but i can't get it to work. Step #6 is getting me.

Get the regular MP3/OGG/WAV of the song you want. Make sure it's legal, in stereo and of the highest possible quality (at least 128kfor MP3, 192k is better)
Obtain a copy of the free audio editor Audacity. Other programs are available, but they usually cost and this will do fine. Install the program, read the help files and familiarize yourself with the interface, as the individual instructions are beyond the scope of this article.
Download the LAME MP3 codec if you want to export your project to MP3, and install it per the instructions for Audacity.
Import the MP3 to a new project in Audacity.
Open the track menu (click the arrow next to the track title), and choose “Split Stereo Track.”
Select the lower track (the right channel) by clicking it in the area around the mute/solo buttons.
Cut the bass out of the second channel from around 100hz and below (adjust cut frequency to keep bass guitar, kick drum and other bass instruments that are below voice frequencies)
Choose “Invert” from the Effects menu.
Using the track menus, change each track to “Mono.”
Listen to your track, and if it sounds alright to you, go ahead and export it to MP3 or WAV, depending on what you need.

I have not tried that, but if I understand what it is doing, it is going to leave you with just the bass track on the right channel, and leave all of your left channel.

I just found a video that shows how to do it,but I still can't get it to work. Guess I will buy some software to handle this.
here is the link if interested.
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/remove-vocals-song-mp3-music-instruments/1301/

Ah.. The video is just subtracting the right channel from the left. Basically, the closer to center ballanced a sound is, the closer to zero of it will remain. The further towards left or right it is, the more of it will remain.

If you have vocals that are not centered, this won't remove them. It may also remove other things you intended to keep that are centered.

-klb- wrote:

I have not tried that, but if I understand what it is doing, it is going to leave you with just the bass track on the right channel, and leave all of your left channel.

Well, not exactly.

For starters, this will work better on some songs than others. It all depends on how the original stereo mix was created. When I worked as a recording engineer we sometimes went out of our way to help prevent this technique, which relies on phase cancellation to do what it does.

The basic concept is that most lead vocals are placed into the center of the stereo mix. This means that the amplitude of the vocals is in phase across both channels. When you take the right channel and invert it that right channel is now out of phase with the left. if you then add together the left and right channels, anything that was previously in phase will cancel out anything that was out of phase. You'll be left with a mono soundtrack that effectively removed most of the vocals from the track, and likely anything else that was panned dead center of the mix. That often affects your kick drums and a portion of your lower frequency stuff, like bass guitar. Usually, depending on the amount and type of reverb effect that was added to the original soundtrack you'll hear very little dry vocal and mostly the leftover reverb that could not be cancelled out.

Make sense?

Fabian

Thanks for the heads up! I will just try to find an instrumental version of the song i'm looking for, unless I can find some software that will only remove the words.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I will just try to find an instrumental version of the song i'm looking for, unless I can find some software that will only remove the words.

What song was that, by the way?

I tried several songs, but there is one I heard on the radio with an awesome beat. I'm waiting on my niece to tell me the name.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

I see that. Just tried a couple with free downloads and they suck.

If and when you find the song title, you may try a karaoke site for the instrumental...

it won't have the quality of the original, but it should be close...