Light-O-Rama Forums

Here is why we do what we do

testraub

I just got this in the US Mail today from a family that came and saw my show. I didn't ask them for anything, but they took the time to send me these... Second image to follow.

Tom Straub

Attached files Scan_Doc0001.pdf

testraub wrote:

I just got this in the US Mail today from a family that came and saw my show. I didn't ask them for anything, but they took the time to send me these... Second image to follow.

Tom Straub

That is cool, we do it because we like it personally but it warms the cockles of our hearts when people will stop and say thank you, that our display gets them in the Christmas spirit. We know people that will intentionally drive out of there way so that they can drive by our place. :dude::dude:

Just goes to show you we touch more people then we know!

I got a Christmas card thanking me from "a distant neighbour".

i would agree, i do this because i get some sort of perverted joy out of tinkering with electricity without getting electrocuted but when people drive by and truly enjoy what you have done it feels good deep down inside.

That's great Tom!

This was my third year but the first we got recognition from people watching the show too.

It ranged from thank you notes in the mail to a Christmas ornament being left on the door handle with a note.

It's nice to know the people watching your show actually do appreciate the time it takes to put everything together!

Happy New Year to you and yours!

I do my display to see the smiles on the kid's faces that come by every year.

I was very surprised when a father and daughter came to the house one day and brought us a new item to add to our yard display. I couldn't believe it and will graciously display it Christmas 2011.

You guys are so right, this was our first year in a new neighborhood and with the exception on one Schrooge, everybody loved the Display. We received cookies, candy and 3 cards from the neighbors up and down the street. All the comments were positive and I've had a couple of people stop and want to know what I'm going to do next year, just have to wait and see....

Al Dube wrote:

You guys are so right, this was our first year in a new neighborhood and with the exception on one Schrooge, everybody loved the Display. We received cookies, candy and 3 cards from the neighbors up and down the street. All the comments were positive and I've had a couple of people stop and want to know what I'm going to do next year, just have to wait and see....

I guess there has to be some law of nature that stipulates that every neighborhood must have at least one turd/scrooge.

Jeff Millard wrote:

caniac wrote:
i would agree, i do this because i get some sort of perverted joy out of tinkering with electricity without getting electrocuted but when people drive by and truly enjoy what you have done it feels good deep down inside.

This post gets my vote for most eloquent description of what it's all about. You hit the nail right on the proverbial head caniac!

Jeff

caniac: can I put that on my web site? (assuming I actually make one) Is sums it up so well.

Jeff Millard wrote:

caniac wrote:

This post gets my vote for most eloquent description of what it's all about. You hit the nail right on the proverbial head caniac!

Jeff

caniac: can I put that on my web site? (assuming I actually make one) Is sums it up so well.

khawes wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
caniac wrote:

This post gets my vote for most eloquent description of what it's all about. You hit the nail right on the proverbial head caniac!

Jeff

Sure go ahead!!

I've been a little slow getting my display down, doing when time and weather allows. A woman walking her dog while I was taking down my megatree told me that our display was the only joy she's had around Christmas since her husband died a couple of years ago. She walks her dog on my street just to see what's there, and what's left. Yeah, it's slowed me down from taking the rest of it down some.

My next-door neighbor (5 years old) yelled at me this past Saturday to leave it up, and put the rest of it back up. A little later, his mother told me the same thing, but she knows it needs to come down. She said leave the nativity scene up though (last thing I take down) so it's still up until I get everything else squared away in storage.

And yeah, the street is now very dark, other than the nativity scene, which is coming down this week.

Hello All,

This is why I'm getting into the animated light show. I am new to this and have alot to learn. In years past never have put up one christmas light but seen videos of Richard Holdman's display flat fell in love with it, Needless to say well I'm Hooked. Neighbors already think I'm nuts so why not.

Ultimately I really hope the folks who do see my display this year really enjoy it and it makes someone's Christmas a little brighter.....

Duane

gilbarcotech wrote:

Hello All,

This is why I'm getting into the animated light show. I am new to this and have alot to learn. In years past never have put up one christmas light but seen videos of Richard Holdman's display flat fell in love with it, Needless to say well I'm Hooked. Neighbors already think I'm nuts so why not.

Ultimately I really hope the folks who do see my display this year really enjoy it and it makes someone's Christmas a little brighter.....

Duane
the way i look at it is if you only make ONE person's Christmas a little brighter then you have made the world a better place. anything beyond that is just gravy!!

gilbarcotech wrote:

Hello All,

Duane

Duane,

Welcom to LOR. This past year was my first year and I have learned tons already. Things will surely come together and the neighbors will then KNOW you are crazy.:P And the folks will surely enjoy it.