Light-O-Rama Forums

on track for the Easter tear-down

Jim Saul

ok so every day for the last 6 week, we have had at least a dusting of snow.
I did dig out the controllers, transmitter, and optical relays, but everything else is hibernating under the snow.

Attached files 233870=12778-P1140009 - Copy.JPG

same here everytime I want to go outside and tear down lights it has to snow and bury the lights deeper and deeper

Second best year for teardown, rained all day NewYears day then mild minus 5C for the following week. Got everything down the following five days dried and stored for next year all down in five days 8_2_103.gif

You know I was talking about making some wood stands to raise up the blow molds ( notice the head from the nativity in under the big arch). Now If I did that, then I could use the weed whacker to trim the grass near them ;) after all, they were up in October, and will probably not be down to April, that's 1/2 the year already.....

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim Saul wrote:

You know I was talking about making some wood stands to raise up the blow molds ( notice the head from the nativity in under the big arch). Now If I did that, then I could use the weed whacker to trim the grass near them ;) after all, they were up in October, and will probably not be down to April, that's 1/2 the year already.....

This is a good idea I built seven stands last year took them up 16 inches thought that would be plenty I guessed wrong it hasn't stopped snowing in Alberta expecting another 4 - 5 inches today and another 10 inches tommorow we currently have about three to three and half feet of snow on the ground totally buried the display so the only question I can ask is Jeff can I borrow some gas for my snowblower ;)

I dug out all my big stuff, still chipping away at the smaller stuff. Some of it, like my tree lights and cords, will probably come up at Easter, like Jim's ;)

Don Gillespie wrote:

This is a good idea I built seven stands last year took them up 16 inches

Do you have any pictures? what did you do to prevent them from being blown over?

currently I use 1x1 wood garden stakes behind the blow molds. They are driven in about 8-12 inches, then I tie everything with 20lb fishing line at top mid and bottom.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I dug out all my big stuff, still chipping away at the smaller stuff. Some of it, like my tree lights and cords, will probably come up at Easter, like Jim's ;)

In years past, I've broken a number of blow molds and wires trying to "chip" them out.
I no longer try to remove them until I can see the grass.

The radio station will call me on groundhog day to see of we can see baby Jesus, Every year it is no so 6 more weeks of winter .......

Guest Don Gillespie

Jim Saul wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
This is a good idea I built seven stands last year took them up 16 inches

Do you have any pictures? what did you do to prevent them from being blown over?

currently I use 1x1 wood garden stakes behind the blow molds. They are driven in about 8-12 inches, then I tie everything with 20lb fishing line at top mid and bottom.

Jim I will get you some pics when the snow melts I used 12 inch plywood with some 1x6 on either side and then used piano hinges to to make the 1x6 fold up for easy storage will be building more for this year

My cords are all buried till spring.My mini trees i mounted on black pails so the pails are froze in but the mini trees are all put away.90% of my display is dug out and put away.

Jim Saul wrote:

ok so every day for the last 6 week, we have had at least a dusting of snow.
I did dig out the controllers, transmitter, and optical relays, but everything else is hibernating under the snow.

I think you need to set out a scuba tank for your snow people :P

I still have my 6 foot trees and my temp fence (although now you can't see the fence I know it is there).

I don't remember getting this much snow.

Good news is it will be around the freezing mark on Sat...heat wave!

Guest Don Gillespie

PaulXmas wrote:

I still have my 6 foot trees and my temp fence (although now you can't see the fence I know it is there).

I don't remember getting this much snow.

Good news is it will be around the freezing mark on Sat...heat wave!

Guess what? its snowing here! again oh joy #$#$#$#$#$#$#$ need I say more

Richard R wrote:

I started to take down my lights on the 1st of Jan and had to stop because it was to HOT!!!! it was 32c here :cool:

@@#$#@#$@# 90 degrees!

it's-22C here (-8F) here now. This week it is forecast to be -40 which is the same in C and F.

Guest Don Gillespie

Richard R wrote:

I started to take down my lights on the 1st of Jan and had to stop because it was to HOT!!!! it was 32c here :cool:

I'll trade you Richard I have no place to pile snow anymore both sides of my driveway are at the 5 foot mark now. so you come to my house to tear down and I will be glad to go to yours LOL :P

I wouldn't want any of you guys to come here and suffer like I have to, you have to drink ICE COLD BEERS to keep cool, I don't think you would like it LOL:cool::P

Guest Don Gillespie

Richard R wrote:

I wouldn't want any of you guys to come here and suffer like I have to, you have to drink ICE COLD BEERS to keep cool, I don't think you would like it LOL:cool::P

I can do that extremely well as a matter of fact I am an expert at that LOL