Light-O-Rama Forums

Suggestions for Rotary Luncheon

jim6918

I got roped by my boss and a friend into doing a 20 minute talk at a local Rotary Club meeting next month on my LOR display. As far as I know I am the only person doing a LOR display in the whole county, aside from a few people who have the GEMY (?) light controller.

Obviously I would like the presentation to be interesting, but not too technical. I was thinking about starting out with a video clip of one of the animated songs, then moving into some facts and figures about my display. I would like to show how the actual sequencing goes, but not sure how to present it in some kind of PowerPoint presentation.

Anybody done something similar? Open to all suggestions.

I haven't done anything like that but it sounds like it would be fun. I agree on the idea of videos - the finished product is definitely more glamorous than the process. I'd consider showing more than one - maybe opening the presentation with a complete song and closing the presentation with a montage of other songs or even other people's videos. (Might even be a good idea to have asn extra video or two in reserve in case you get nervous and wind up motor-mouthing through the presentation and still have time to fill)

I don't know how much public speaking you've done or how comfortable you are with the idea. Keep in mind that you're the subject-matter expert and they don't have a choice but to politely listen to you. Don't hit on their wives and daughters. Resist the urge to talk about yourself other than introducing who you are and maybe what got you interested in the hobby. Maybe you can use an outline of what it takes from January to December to pull off a show to keep you on track.

You'll definitely want a controller and your FM transmitter for show and tell. I think a short (very short) PP presentation is the way to go... maybe a shot or two of a busy sequencing screen and the animation screen. You're right - don't get bogged down in the details - a picture of all your cords crossing the yard is a lot more interesting than the difference between a twinkle and a shimmer. Leave time for questions.

Keep us posted how it goes. Good luck!

George Simmons wrote:

Don't hit on their wives and daughters.

Sheesh George...you take the fun out of EVERYTHING!!!

They are more fun than Bed Bugs... :P

I think it would be cool to have your display in the main picture and have LOR sequencer running the grid in a smaller screen in one of the corners. This will only work if the screen will be large enough for them to actually see the sequencer grid.

I think I will make a picture in a picture video using my own display and see how it looks. : )

As was said, I don't know how much public speaking you have done or how comfortable you are with it. I do know it would be hard for me to hold the talk to 20 minutes talking to someone who was interested in the display and how it is done.

If the did not seem interested 10 minutes should be plenty. : )

Paul Roberson wrote:

I think it would be cool to have your display in the main picture and have LOR sequencer running the grid in a smaller screen in one of the corners. This will only work if the screen will be large enough for them to actually see the sequencer grid.

I think I will make a picture in a picture video using my own display and see how it looks. : )

As was said, I don't know how much public speaking you have done or how comfortable you are with it. I do know it would be hard for me to hold the talk to 20 minutes talking to someone who was interested in the display and how it is done.

Well, I'm not Dale Carnegie or anything but I think I do pretty well in front of a crowd. I've testified in 100's of criminal cases in my career and taught Fraud Investigation classes in the past.

Here's what I am thinking so far:

Opening video (no more than 2 minutes) of sequence

Some facts and figures about whole display; miles of extension cords, number of lights, controllers & number of channels, FM transmission, $$$, etc.

Describe the audio file and how it meshes with the sequence; choosing a good song to sequence

Show a busy sequence page, and Visualizer

Time spent sequencing over the year

Allow questions

Closing video (again under 2 minutes)

• 3 weeks later...

jim6918 wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Well, I'm not Dale Carnegie or anything but I think I do pretty well in front of a crowd. I've testified in 100's of criminal cases in my career and taught Fraud Investigation classes in the past.

Here's what I am thinking so far:

Opening video (no more than 2 minutes) of sequence

Some facts and figures about whole display; miles of extension cords, number of lights, controllers & number of channels, FM transmission, $$$, etc.

Describe the audio file and how it meshes with the sequence; choosing a good song to sequence

Show a busy sequence page, and Visualizer

Time spent sequencing over the year

Allow questions

Closing video (again under 2 minutes)

I thought I would report back to the other posters who took time to answer my original inquiry. Just got back from the luncheon and I am pretty sure it was a big hit. Several people told me that I was the first presentation they could think of in quite a while that people didn't sneak out the back door at some point. My PowerPoint was about 12 minutes long, had 3 shortened videos from my show, some funny slides showing parking problems, a sequence window, a visualizer, still photos of the yard, some mini trees, controllers, etc. Got a bunch of laughs which really made me relax so I am pretty pumped. The boss is happy too which is the icing on the cake.

jim6918 wrote:

The boss is happy too which is the icing on the cake.

Congratulations!!!

We all knew you would do a great job!! :D

jimswinder wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
Don't hit on their wives and daughters.

Sheesh George...you take the fun out of EVERYTHING!!!

They are more fun than Bed Bugs... ;)

Should have asked the wives if they wanted to play with your dangle cord.