Light-O-Rama Forums

Syncing video clips with a sequence

Ralph D

Ralph D wrote:

I’m just wondering how to sync video or clips of a video to a sequence.

Not exactly sure what you are asking.

To use a video instead of just audio in a sequence simply select the video file instead of an audio file.

"Edit" "Media File" navigate to the video file and select it.

and how do i get the video to a screen? video out from pc to a projector. it just works like that? seems to easy.

Ralph D wrote:

and how do i get the video to a screen? video out from pc to a projector. it just works like that? seems to easy.

Yes, it is that easy. : )

You need a computer capable of duel monitors.

With LOR sequencer open select.

"Edit" "Preferences" "Video Preferences"

A video preference screen will pop up.

Check boxes "Display Video" and "Use Full Screen Mode"

You can also check "Display Audio Visualization" (the visualization that WMP runs/can run) if you want to show the visualization when there is an audio file associated to a sequence instead of a video.

Now click on "Select Monitor" a select monitor window will pop up with directions. Follow the directions. (Click OK then move mouse pointer to the screen you want video to show on then click) After that click OK on the video preference window and you are done.

When you play a sequence the associated video will play along with the sequence.

I have used "Display Audio Visualization". I was using winter wonders from sound spectrum as my visuals in WMP

Sorry jumping ahead of myself. I have a song I’m sequencing now... that is not a video it’s an mp3, I what to put a few video clips in it, so I guess I need a video editor of some kind, do you recommend one. I’m also not sure how to tell lor to play the video. As you can tell, I’ve never played a video/song before, and I’m not sure if it will even be something that will work for me. The window id use to project to is a standard size bedroom window. Double pane window and it’s on my second floor. I’m toying with it now so I can decide how to continue. This all started because I wanted to do a virtual Santa so I thought well if I spend all this money I really should make better use of it. So everyone’s ideas and input would be helpful .

I use cyberlink power director. Some use windows movie maker.

Just open your audio file in your video editor. Move the audio file to the 'music' 'audio' line of the editor.

If I am using an audio file I have already sequenced I always lock the audio line. This will prevent any unwanted cutting of the audio file.

Now just add whatever video you want. If the video you want to use has audio in it you will have to separate the audio from it and delete it or turn its volume all the way down.

Be sure that the video you add does not extend past the end of your original audio file.

The video could work in a window. There are allot of "depends" questions as to what you are expecting it to look like.

Normal sized video resolution with the projector set up so that the video does not extend past the sides of the window will be a pretty small video, especially from a second story window.

Do you use this computer upstairs in the bedroom to run your LOR show?

If you take a look at my house photo, under neath the Sam the snowman blowup is my den. These 3 front windows is where my pc is. to the right of Sam the snowman is my daughters Samantha bedroom her front window is the one I’m talking about so I could run a 75 foot video wire out my den window, up on the den in Samantha’s side window right next to Sam the snowman....you don’t see the window in the photo.. To the projector.

Now her front window sticks out from the house as you can see. On the inside there is almost 5 feet of a .....kind of a cove you walk in to , to get to the window. So if I hang the projector from the ceiling tilted to the screen so the (lookers) from outside get a better view. I can put a black drape hung from the ceiling to the floor be hinde the projector and it won’t even bother my daughter at all. It’s just the size of the window that worries me. I just measured the window and the viewable area is about 2 feet 2 inches wide, am I wasting my time.

Ralph D wrote:

If you take a look at my house photo, under neath the Sam the snowman blowup is my den. These 3 front windows is where my pc is. to the right of Sam the snowman is my daughters Samantha bedroom her front window is the one I’m talking about so I could run a 75 foot video wire out my den window, up on the den in Samantha’s side window right next to Sam the snowman....you don’t see the window in the photo.. To the projector.

Now her front window sticks out from the house as you can see. On the inside there is almost 5 feet of a .....kind of a cove you walk in to , to get to the window. So if I hang the projector from the ceiling tilted to the screen so the (lookers) from outside get a better view. I can put a black drape hung from the ceiling to the floor be hinde the projector and it won’t even bother my daughter at all. It’s just the size of the window that worries me. I just measured the window and the viewable area is about 2 feet 2 inches wide, am I wasting my time.

2' 2" wide is not much. I have a 2x4 frame with a shower curtain liner on it as my projector screen. It is 5' wide x 4' high, and we are planning on making it bigger next year. Our projector sets in our office and projects out the window onto the screen.

I wouldn't say you are wasting your time. I would suggest setting the video projector on something and project some kind of video on the window from a dvd player or whatever is easy and go outside and see if it has satisfactory results for you.

jimswinder wrote:

Hey Paul...

Which projector do you use?

I use a NEC VT480

I like the output, but when its time for another projector I will look for one I don't have to turn on manually. : )

Ralph D wrote:

no no its 2 x 4, sorry i didn't notice what i typed.

Even at 2x4 you will be limited by the 2' wide as far as videos go.

If you use wide screen and stay within the 2' your video will be about 1 1/2' tall.

If you use box screen it will only be 2 x 2.

I use a screen not quite 4x4' and I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than that or it just isn't worth it IMHO.

I used one of the sub-$300 projectors from ebay (search for Digital Galaxy for one popular example) and it worked beautifully. I sure wouldn't build a home theater around one of these but it was perfect for the Christmas display, at less than half the price of a name-brand projector. It had plenty of brightness even though it was in part of my yard that has a lot of static displays including my flood-lighted Nativity. It actually tolerated being outside (in a weatherproof enclosure) all season even with temps below zero (the specs rate it down to 32F)

Another bonus is the bulbs are dirt cheap - for many projectors the bulbs cost as much as this whole projector.

• 2 weeks later...

JasonZ wrote:

I assume you need to have the full advanced version of the software to be able to do this?

Im not sure. I have the advanced version.

What version do you have?

Try to ues a video file instead of a audio file and see what happens.

Sorry I have responded my father had open heart surgery this morning and it’s been touch and go, but the good news is my dad is on the road to recovery! I haven’t slapped in about a day and a half taking care of my kids and wife and now my mom and dad, but I could not be happier that my dad is ...as of right now looking good and made it through his double value replacement! GO DAD and that God!

JasonZ wrote:

I assume you need to have the full advanced version of the software to be able to do this?

The Advanced version is needed to display full screen video, but video can be displayed in windowed mode with Basic Plus, Standard, or Advanced.

I use a 4 x 4 window for my virtual santa. It has served me well other than I do not like having the two frames of the window in the middle. I have talked my wife into letting me install a picture window in the same room south of my existing window. I wanted to go with a solid 6' x 6' picture window. I found out that when you go with that big of a window you have to use re in forced glass at that size for structural stability and the cost triples the window price. I am going to go with a 5.5 x 5.5 window instead that will keep the window cost below $300 as opposed to over $800 for a 6 x 6 window.

I have gotten so much mileage with my virtual santa display. I want to expand my video options and use it more for Halloween and other displays. For this though I need a solid pane of glass (picture window). It is much easier to project from inside my home than from outside. I have debated on building housing to put my projector into and decided to go with a new picture window instead. More secure and weather tight.

Thanks guys for the info. I wanted to add video this year. The only good spot for me has to have to projector outside in a weatherproof box. I was thinking of putting a ccr around the screen as a border. Any one think that the CCR might be to bright or distracting from the video.

Tim did you have any condensation problems when the projector cooled down after.