Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to bend PVC

PerryH

PerryH wrote:

I need to make some hoops out of a 10' length of PVC. What is the best way to bend it without breaking/crimping it?

I think I remember someone telling me along time ago, like back in the dark ages: fill it up with sand. Or get a rubber hose.

MikeH

I've used a heat gun to shape PVC pipe. However, you need to be careful to heat it evenly. There are sources online that indicate pouring HOT sand into the pipe, let it warm up, then bend. This should avoid kinking. I haven't ever tried it, though.

My buddy who helped with my display used the Gas Grill in the backyard, and filled the pvc with sand. Worked like a charm.

Here are the candy canes he did for me. Nice, smooth and round.

We just finished putting up most of the display a couple days before thanksgiving and we got this little snow, it was really cool.

Attached files 233695=12775-candy canes arch.jpg

Not sure what size or type you are using, but the gray PVC which I use, can be formed in the 1/2" -1" range just by bending it. I made my mega tree base from 2 peices of 1/2" and it was perfect. I made a small mega tree base for testing out of a single stick and it to was perfect. Not sure on the white stuff, but it too should be fine to made hoops out of, but since I'm an electrian I just use the gray. I also like the fact I don't have to buy connectors like you do for the white. A single stick will make a hoop just a little bigger then 3', and two makes it about 6'.

My only PVC is a large arch - I'm sure its harder with the smaller items, but I never bent mine at all. I just drove 2 steaks into the ground and slid my pvc over it. When I wanted it a bit higher, I just moved the steaks closer thgether.

Grey PVC is designed to be bent via a conduit bender. I dont know the exact chemical differences between grey and white, but grey seems more pliable IMHO.

Another solution is PEX water pipe. If you go with a 3/4 inch or so it will be rigid enough to hold the shape (depending on the size of hoop). But this pipe is made to be flexible. It was designed to run water pipe in houses without fittings. just a solid pipe on a spool that gets run from point A to B. It sounds super flexible, but it's not. It may be just perfect for what you want to do. It is fairly thick and while flexible rigid enough that it won't burst in a freeze. It has only been in the US for about 8-10 years and in some areas only 1-2 years.

My father and grandfather are both plumbers and I did the job for about 10 years and have worked with the stuff myself. I put it in my house and may have some left over I can try and get a pic.

You could easily create a pin system in the ends to hold the hoop together and straighten it out for storage purposes.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Nick

Here is me bending the 3/4 pipe. This piece was about 3 ft long and took some effort to bend it and take the pic, but you get the idea.

You could put a wood dowl in the end and drill through it and the pipe. Then put a pin through it. Loop the pipe around and then do the same. Then you could break down the hoop.:cool:

Attached files 233997=12788-IMG_20110115_100540.jpg

I've done this before with PVC. A couple of notes-

PVC (white) comes in two thicknesses: Schedule 40 (thicker) and the thinner stuff rated for 200PSI. The thinner stuff is easier to bend, but I like the Schedule 40. It's heavier and less likely to become brittle over time and snap.

An option is not to permanently bend the pipe. A great benefit of rigid PVC is it will form an even, smooth arch rather easily. A bendable pipe can be formed much easier for smaller stuff ( I like the PEX idea!), but PVC is perfect for a large ring or hoop. I just take a rope and attach a wooden/metal stake (say 6-10 inches long) to each end. Put one stake in the end of the pipe and bend until you get the other stake in the other end. This makes a great temporary arch. Shorten the rope to get a higher arch. Simply remove the rope at the end of the season to allow the pipe to straighten out for storage.

Just throwing out an idea here.:D

Thanks for the ideas. The grey sounds like it might be what I am looking for. The idea I have is to use a 10' section bent in a hoop that will be a little over 3' in diameter. This will make the base of my mini-mega trees. I will make a topper that will hold the strings at the top and will have a stud out the bottom. I will drive a small rod in the ground, slide a 5' pole over this and the topper in the top of the same pole with the PVC ring spreading out the bottom. At the end of the season I will remove the support poles and collapse the topper and lights. I should be able to stack all my trees in a little over a 3' squared area.

gizmomkr wrote:

Grey PVC is designed to be bent via a conduit bender. I dont know the exact chemical differences between grey and white, but grey seems more pliable IMHO.
You can use a bender if you have the springs used to bend PVC conduit. But if your using it without the springs, you better fill it with hot sand or something like that or it will kink fast!
I'm an electrician so been there done that! Find an electrician and borrow his hot box or get a pvc blanket. They heat evenly. If you have a lot to do you may want to rent a heater/bender.
Good luck!

• 1 month later...

those are the springs I was referring to above. they work ok but if you want to make long sweeping bends your better off with heat

testraub wrote:

Anyone seen this tool for bending PVC? http://www.thepipeviper.com/pipevipervideo.html

I may have to get some for different sizes.

Tom Straub

Let us know how they work out Tom.

I am surprised to learn you can bend schedule 40 pvc pipe, especially 2 and 3 inch diameter versions of this, without using heat, and without winding up with kinks of any kind...

Greg