Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible job opportunity

scubado

I've got an idea for a posible dream job for a team of people. There is a large business about 15 miles from my house that would be an ideal place to do mega displays. It is Epic Corp, they create medical software and training. They have several large buildings on 120 acre campus and the buildings have various themes, they even have a tree house. They'll even send employees to art fairs with a $5000 checkbooks to buy art for the buildings. They even have bus tours come in. Everything is state of the art. They are currently building a building just for the contractors because they don't want to see all the construction trailers. This place would be ideal to do indoor and outdoor displays and year round employment. It would probably take some time to build an infrastructure.

The company I work with is a vendor at this place, so I have some access to talk to the right people. This under taking is biting off more than I can chew and would definately need help.

Any and all comments are welcome, anyone interested? We would probably have to start a business and be a contractor I'm guessing would be the best approach?

The location of the campus is on the southern outskirts of Madison, Wisconsin.

scubado wrote:

The location of the campus is on the southern outskirts of Madison, Wisconsin.

If chosen as Project Manager...my first decision will to move them to a warmer climate... :)

Can I Tele-Commute?

Sounds like these guys aren't going to want to use canned sequences, so if you're needing someone to do some custom sequencing, count me in! An occasional road trip to WI isn't the worst thing in the world, I suppose...

George Simmons wrote:

An occasional road trip to WI isn't the worst thing in the world, I suppose...

No...that would be to Minnesota... :)

jimswinder wrote:

George Simmons wrote:

:P;) Good job Jim..

He got ya fair and square George. :D

Max-Paul wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
George Simmons wrote:

:P:D Good job Jim..

He got ya fair and square George. :D

Did I spell Missouri with two "n"s???

My mistake...stupid Spell Check!!! :shock:;):shock:

I wouldn't mind a slightly warmer climate either. Another approach I could take on this would be to talk to their landscaping company and pitch the idea to Epic. The landscaping company would have the resourses to install lights. The landscaping companies around here just put up and take down lights for you, but nobody around here does LOR.

Do you guys think this is just wishful thinking, or should I actually try to persue this? If you were in my shoes and saw this possibility, would you go for it?

scubado wrote:

Do you guys think this is just wishful thinking, or should I actually try to persue this? If you were in my shoes and saw this possibility, would you go for it?

Sounds like a full time job to me (for SEVERAL people)...and I can't see them paying what it would take to get a first class show (for 40 days)...

Take how many hours it takes to do your residential show and times that by at least 50 (if not more)...

Would you be an employee of that company, or just free lancing?

Insurance, benefits, you get everything done then they fire you?

scubado wrote:

It's only wishful thinking if you don't do anything about it. I say go for it and see where it leads. It might be something they jump on. It might be something someone there has whimsically thought of in the past and set aside, not knowing what to do first. It might be something no one has thought about until it is presented. All it takes is one person in a position of power to like it and we've got a job to help support our habit.

jimswinder wrote:

Sounds like a full time job to me (for SEVERAL people)...and I can't see them paying what it would take to get a first class show (for 40 days)... Seems to me if they've built a building to house construction trailers they've got money to burn.

Take how many hours it takes to do your residential show and times that by at least 50 (if not more)... They're used to paying some serious bucks to software developers from which they sometimes reap nothing tangible. At least this gives them something concrete to see.

Would you be an employee of that company, or just free lancing? Color me in as an independent contractor all the way.

Insurance, benefits, you get everything done then they fire you? I suppose that might be a possibility, but I'd bet against it. They wouldn't be where they are treating people like that.

My preferred method of doing this would be an employee with our own department with a $2,000,000 budget first year to really get the ball rolling. Seems like a lot of money to us, but consider having to do everything commercial grade and up to code and working with contractors for electrical work will add up quickly. This company has a ton of money and the possibility is very do-able for them. I personally don't have enough skills to head the department, but I have no problem digging in, learning, and putting in 200%.

Working with the landscaper to go this route with the company could work also. Access to equipment would be helpful, plus being part of an established company has a major advantage over doing it as a new contractor.

Is anyone on this forum in a situation similar to this? What kind of situation is Shadrack in? Did he expand his 10 acre show from last year? I know his diplay was a commercial one, but what kind of situation was he in?

I think this idea has merit, look at Shadrack, there is no way they had one person doing that display part time. I'm sure it's a full team of people seasonally but probably a small team full time.

I say go for it, what can they say?, "NO". Is that going to hurt? But if they say yes you and a team of people will be able to do something you love to do full time and earn money doing it.

I forgot to add GOOD LUCK

I don't know many specifics, but Shadrack does multiple shows - four locations I think for 2010 - as a for-profit venture and to keep their people working throughout the winter.

I'll head the department if you want, as long as I can do at least 90% of it long-distance and somebody else keeps the books. I know what's required to do a show, how to manage and teach others, and how to roll up my sleeves and get things done. Problem is I don't easily suffer fools, so if there's politics or idiots involved I might not be the best choice. I still favor the contract-for-services approach over being a company employee for my position, whatever that might be.

scubado wrote:

I wouldn't mind a slightly warmer climate either. Another approach I could take on this would be to talk to their landscaping company and pitch the idea to Epic. The landscaping company would have the resourses to install lights. The landscaping companies around here just put up and take down lights for you, but nobody around here does LOR.

Sorry to be the naysayer..but...

So if I am them, and looking at this from a budget standpoint, I'm asking..whats the benefit?

If they are trying to be a good corporate citizen, then doing this may make sense, but it also means they open their grounds to shows, and you need to manage the attendance piece, and all the details of having people on their properties, watching the show, etc.

I think it is a great idea, and would definitely pitch it, they can only say "no"...but my gut says, they would look at the budget required (2M?), and the obligation, and table it for another year, or just flat out say "no thanks". No matter how prosperous a company, 2 million dollars for a Christmas lights display is a hard pill to swallow..even if you can convince them this is a year 'round kind of thing, thats a pretty good chunk of cash.

The perception may be that they are loaded, spend money like it is water, etc. etc....but they still have budgets and beancounters, and wouldn't be as successful as they appear to be without managing the pennies closely.

And I say all that with the caution that I know nothing about this company other than what I read on their website, so will gladly eat crow if you come back with that budget for 2M, and them breathing down your back wondering when you can get started..

I will talk to some people to see if there's interest in the idea and see where it leads.

I do know they throw a Hollywood style party each year on campus, the tours I should find out if they are private or public or both.

Given that this is such a large potential, do think the 2million start cost is too high? This is not a place to start small, it has to be Epic!

scubado wrote:

Given that this is such a large potential, do think the 2million start cost is too high? This is not a place to start small, it has to be Epic!

Depends on what their "vision" is...I'm sure most of us could spend $2,000,000 REALLY quick...especially when it is someones elses' money!! :shock:

Of course...you would want to wait until LOR comes out with the CCB's and RGB Floods...

Mini Trees would have to be at LEAST 10' tall

Mega Trees would need to be at least 40'

And I could see a 75' Weber Tree (and real trees...nothing artificial)

Arches could be 50'...

And then there's the building just to house the Control Center/Storage...which would have to be elevated and have big glass windows so you could oversee the whole "park"...

And about 100 Closed Circuit cameras so you could immediately see any "problems"...

about $500,000 just for a decent sound system...

plus $10,000 video cameras to record the action

Webmaster to create and maintain a website...

Someone to set up the Donations/Charities and track those...

Liability Insurance...

Security...

PR person

Then there is at least $100,000 to bring in a Christina Aguilera or Miley Cyrus to sing live to a few songs synced to the lights

Yeah...2 mil won't be enough...better start at $5,000,000

scubado wrote:

I will talk to some people to see if there's interest in the idea and see where it leads.

I do know they throw a Hollywood style party each year on campus, the tours I should find out if they are private or public or both.

If you are going to approach them regarding a 2 mill budget, then I would suggest you develop a DETAILED (in writing) business plan outling how the $2 mill would be spent, and as well the expected revenue the first year, 5 years and 10 years, along with a very specific resume on you and what you have done for other companys in the past and what you can offer them

JBullard wrote:

scubado wrote:

If you are going to approach them regarding a 2 mill budget, then I would suggest you develop a DETAILED (in writing) business plan outling how the $2 mill would be spent, and as well the expected revenue the first year, 5 years and 10 years, along with a very specific resume on you and what you have done for other companys in the past and what you can offer them

My first approach would be to feel them out for the idea. If they are interested then try to get some idea as to which way they would be interested in executing it, employees or contracting. Then develop a team and a plan to propose.

jimswinder wrote:

scubado wrote:

Depends on what their "vision" is...I'm sure most of us could spend $2,000,000 REALLY quick...especially when it is someones elses' money!! :shock:

Of course...you would want to wait until LOR comes out with the CCB's and RGB Floods...

Mini Trees would have to be at LEAST 10' tall

Mega Trees would need to be at least 40'

And I could see a 75' Weber Tree (and real trees...nothing artificial)

Arches could be 50'...

And then there's the building just to house the Control Center/Storage...which would have to be elevated and have big glass windows so you could oversee the whole "park"...

And about 100 Closed Circuit cameras so you could immediately see any "problems"...

about $500,000 just for a decent sound system...

plus $10,000 video cameras to record the action

Webmaster to create and maintain a website...

Someone to set up the Donations/Charities and track those...

Liability Insurance...

Security...

PR person

Then there is at least $100,000 to bring in a Christina Aguilera or Miley Cyrus to sing live to a few songs synced to the lights

Yeah...2 mil won't be enough...better start at $5,000,000

The geography is such that there could be more than one display going on outdoors. I'm quite sure having live singers would be very probable given the parties they have.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Nevermind... I withdraw my idea...

You gotta respect a man who knows his own limitations. Besides, there's a lot of people who think you're far more valuable as a troll hunter...