Light-O-Rama Forums

Fountains

msbreton

In 2008, I added 4 fountains to my display using simple magnetic motor fountain pumps connected to 4 channels and just turned them on/off (fully) as need. It was simple and worked pretty good but the pumps had plastic catches to prevent the motors from spinning the wrong direction and after turned them on and off thousands of times over 6 weeks, the pumps were cracked and destroyed from hitting those catches so many times.

I’d like to bring back fountains for my 2011 show and I’m looking for the “right” way to do it.

I assume I should use a single always-running pump to keep a line pressurized and then use fast low-volt values which I’d open and close via an IO controller.

If that’s correct, can anyone provide some suggestions as to specifics (pump, values, controller)?

If not, can anyone provide details as to how I should do it?

Thanks!

Thanks. I checked out the thread but I'm still looking for some specific product suggestions.

Anyone?

Pump
Valves
LoR product to control the Valves
How to keep the pump from dead heading when all valves are closes?

Thanks!

-Mike

msbreton wrote:

Thanks. I checked out the thread but I'm still looking for some specific product suggestions.

Anyone?

Pump-
how much water do you want to have in the air? what is the source? power available? nozzle size? How much money do you want to spend?

Valves-
on/off only? variable? pipe size/ material? how much money?

DC controller

add a bypass valve that is open when the fountain is off and the pump is running

Thanks!

-Mike

Pump-
how much water do you want to have in the air? what is the source? power available? nozzle size? How much money do you want to spend?

Pump large enough to run 4-8 valves with streams 5'-10' in the air. I'm thinking I'd store the water source in a 35+ gallon trash can and recycle the water back to the can. Circular system

Valves-

Yes, on/off only. In the past, I got enough variability (for me) simply via how long the I had it on. Unsure of size and material. I'm open to suggestions. I have no idea as to cost. Up to $100 a valve?

DC controller

Is there only one? Can you provide product name/number?

add a bypass valve that is open when the fountain is off and the pump is running

Is that just another valve that I need to manually (program) it be open when all else are closed or is this something automatic?

Thank you!

-Mike

msbreton wrote:

Pump-

Pump large enough to run 4-8 valves with streams 5'-10' in the air. I'm thinking I'd store the water source in a 35+ gallon trash can and recycle the water back to the can. Circular system
If you can bury the source/elevate the fountains and supply more water, I would recommend a submersible well pump. using gravity to refill the tank, in addition you would need a float to keep the water level in the tank stable

Valves-

Yes, on/off only. In the past, I got enough variability (for me) simply via how long the I had it on. Unsure of size and material. I'm open to suggestions. I have no idea as to cost. Up to $100 a valve?
@ approx $100/ valve, I would recomment ASCO 8210 valves

DC controller

Is there only one? Can you provide product name/number?
see above post- yes there is only one

Is that just another valve that I need to manually (program) it be open when all else are closed or is this something automatic?
Yes, that is one solution, use a normally open valve and close it when fountains are on, a second option would be to use a pressure sustaining valve to keep the pressure the same whether fountains are off or on - this would give almost equal fountains no matter how many are on, where as a normally open valve one would experience different fountain heights dependent on the number of fountains running

Thank you!

-Mike