Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LYNX (Smart Strings) With LOR

Ralph A

I have a large LOR display (640 channels) along with several DMX units. I love the LOR hardware and think that the software is among the best out there and do not want to use anything else. I have a lot of money tied up in this and have more to spend. However, things are tight right now for all of us I'm sure I want to convert my current 12' Mega trees to RGB. My current setup is 12 channels per color at 48 total. I want to use LYNX smart strings for my Mega trees next year as it will cost me about $600. per tree. The problem is LOR2 will not work with LYNX, guess they talk a different language. I could use LSP or others but do not want to do that if at all possible.

Does anybody have any suggestions on this or has anyone worked with the smart strings with any advise.

Also, Dan, will it be possible in the future to have LOR2 work with the smart strings?

Thanks for all the help and support!!

Ralph A wrote:

I have a large LOR display (640 channels) along with several DMX units.  I love the LOR hardware and think that the software is among the best out there and do not want to use anything else.  I have a lot of money tied up in this and have more to spend.  However,  things are tight right now for all of us I'm sure  I want to convert my current 12' Mega trees to RGB.  My current setup is 12 channels per color at 48 total.  I want to use LYNX smart strings for my Mega trees next year as it will cost me about $600. per tree.  The problem is LOR2 will not work with LYNX, guess they talk a different language.  I could use LSP or others but do not want to do that if at all possible. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on this or has anyone worked with the smart strings with any advise.

Also, Dan, will it be possible in the future to have LOR2  work with the smart strings?

I replied to your post on the other forums as well.

You may want to just hang out here. The CCB's are coming from LOR. However, PixelNet was developed and written by RJ. I wouldn't expect him to allow LOR to use it. He is very against anything that isn't DIY and has started a few threads about what a "copy" the new Gen2 controllers are from his. If PixelNet ends up supporting any sort of ethernet protocol, whatever LOR develops for that may be supported by PixelNet.

Ralph A wrote:

[snip]
Also, Dan, will it be possible in the future to have LOR2 work with the smart strings?

I do not know about the smart strings so I cannot answer that question with any certianty. If they support DMX then you will be able to use them. We will have much better DMX support this year. As mentioned by some people we will also have our own version of lights "Cosmic Color Bulbs) where each bulb on a string is a RGB pixel.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Ralph A wrote:
[snip]

I do not know about the smart strings so I cannot answer that question with any certianty. If they support DMX then you will be able to use them. We will have much better DMX support this year. As mentioned by some people we will also have our own version of lights "Cosmic Color Bulbs) where each bulb on a string is a RGB pixel.

Dan

Dan,

RJ's Pixelnet system is a quad-plexed DMX512 setup. Instead of running 250kbps, it's running a full one meg bps, pushing 4 DMX512 universes along one wire. He has a modified DMX dongle that talks to it and it is currently supported by Vixen and Light Show Pro.

GaryMartin wrote:

Dan,

RJ's Pixelnet system is a quad-plexed DMX512 setup. Instead of running 250kbps, it's running a full one meg bps, pushing 4 DMX512 universes along one wire. He has a modified DMX dongle that talks to it and it is currently supported by Vixen and Light Show Pro.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it is not using any particular standard protocols so not likely we will implement anything to support it.

Dan

Actually RJ is making the code open source so anyone can add it to their program. However since CCB's are practically the same thing I don't expect to see support in LOR. Yes I will have SmartStrings this year due to my limited budget. Do I wish I could afford CCB's, CCF's and Dan's other new products? Heck yeah! While I may have a lower cost to initially get the strings (as DIYers don't need to pay employees and fund R&D), if anything fails during the Christmas season I know Dan would have the replacements in my hands in a number of days. If any SmartStrings fail in my display, Christmas will be over before parts could arrive from China! Dan's support has been top notch for all my LOR controllers.

Why go with smart strings if they won't work with the LOR software that you want to use? There are several other options for pixel strings that are compatible with DMX, thus compatible with LOR.

jstjohnz wrote:

Why go with smart strings if they won't work with the LOR software that you want to use? There are several other options for pixel strings that are compatible with DMX, thus compatible with LOR.

Unfortunatly many people think that the smart strings are something completely new and can only be offered at DLA. In fact there has been many members of other forums that have already used this technology in 2010.

LOR will have their own offering soon so either wait for those or look for a DMX solution (TP3244)

edvas69 wrote

Unfortunatly many people think that the smart strings are something completely new and can only be offered at DLA. In fact there has been many members of other forums that have already used this technology in 2010.

LOR will have their own offering soon so either wait for those or look for a DMX solution (TP3244)

I fully agree Fast Eddy. I am waiting on the TP3244. If LOR comes out with something similar, I'm sure it would be a good product too. I found out about the TP3244 from Mark S. recently, and then I looked at Smart String and decided the TP3244 was what I wanted.

There's a lot of good things cooking from some smart people in Australia.

Al