Light-O-Rama Forums

newbie channel questions

tanya

DonFL wrote:

Or, just pick up some inline plugs from CDI...

I created some mini-tree wiring harnesses this year, using a common neutral for several "quadrants" of trees, so used a lot of inline plugs. Had originally planned on modifying the standard plugs, but when i did a last minute wire order from CDI, I bought a bunch of the inline plugs, and the time savings more than paid for them...there is no price difference, and hence no real savings modifiying the end plugs.

Paul at CDI only carries SPT1 products, if you choose to go with SPT2, you have to go to one of the other vendors mentioned.

Novelty Lights is in Denver and boy after meeting them in person, they could not be nicer folks and great customer service.

http://www.noveltylights.com/Christmas-light-Power-Accessories/

I have to say that the best deals on indoor cords are in the first week of January each year.

This year, I got 75% off the already 35% off prices at target ... so was getting 9' cords for $.48 each and 40' outdoor cords for $1.18 each ... can't beat that, even making them yourselves. They key is finding out which stores have inventory left and then hitting them when they go 75% (or more) off.

One thing I wish I had done when I first started buying extension cords... mark the length on the plug with a Sharpie. It's a real pain to do later, as I'm finding out now. I marked out lengths on my basement floor to make it a bit easier, but still a lot of unwinding, measuring, marking, winding and twist tying. Oh, that's another thing... keep the twist ties that the cords come with to reuse when packing away (at least I got that one right the first time!).

ShantaClausSm.png

Shanta wrote:

One thing I wish I had done when I first started buying extension cords... mark the length on the plug with a Sharpie. It's a real pain to do later, as I'm finding out now. I marked out lengths on my basement floor to make it a bit easier, but still a lot of unwinding, measuring, marking, winding and twist tying. Oh, that's another thing... keep the twist ties that the cords come with to reuse when packing away (at least I got that one right the first time!).

ShantaClausSm.png

Great idea!

I sort my into 3 groups - small med and large but there is always a little overlap

Something as opposed to marking is to have a color system. Using the multi color electrical tape, wrap a specified color next to the plugs, here is mine:

orange = 20'
yellow = 25'
brown = 40'
red = 50'
blue = 75/80'
purple = 100'

Anything under 25' gets tossed into one of 2 bins, 6' or misc which is 9-12-15'

With the color I can quickly glance from a distance and see how long it is without having to go pick up the plug and look at it.