Light-O-Rama Forums

Support Cable or not?

PerryH

I am building a display that will have a number of runs containing a string of Red, Green, Blue, White, & Multicolored lights. Each run will be the length of 1- 100 light cord. So each run will be about 23' long and contain 5 strands of interwoven lights. These runs will only be supported at either end (think a 23' mega tree). My question is, should I add some sort of metal cable to relieve the tension or just use the lights by themselves?

Well you should consider some things:

What kind of winds do you get where you live?

Will these strings be exposed to the wind?

You could "probably" get away with just having the strings wound together but my own personal preference would be to use a 1/8 or 3/16 galv cable in the center of each bundle to take any strain off the wires or the plugs. It would also make your strings last longer by reducing the wear and tear on them.

If a string should fail you could always wind a new one into the bundle.

My 2 cents.

Bill

Your are in Ringgold, we have the same weather, I do not wind my strings together, Each Red, Green, Blue and Warm White C6 LED string support it's own weight on my 80 channel megatree. 4 years with no problems, with single strings.

By making your strings interwoven, any weight or stress is spread across all 5 strings (depending on how you attach them) and shouldn't be any problem at all.

Just my two cents. And no, I have not built a mega tree yet. But being 2nd gen German here in the states. I tend to build with lots of margarine of error into my projects (got that from grandpa). So, saying that, I would go with the small cable in the plastic jacket and then tie my light strings to that. Then the topper would have hooks and the cable would end in a loop that would go over the hooks. And a strong hoop at the bottom of tree that is weighed down. The cables would then attach to the hoop. Thus no real strain on the light strands. End of season, take the loop off of the topper and leave attached to hoop. Then lay strings along the hoop and fasten to the hoop. Spiral them onto the hoop in cascade fashion, if you can visualize what I am trying to say.

Max-Paul wrote:

Just my two cents. And no, I have not built a mega tree yet.

May be appropiate for the climate where you live.

But, an extreme amount of overkill, extra weight and expense for the Ringgold Ga ( 20 miles from me) display season weather conditions, if he is building a mega-tree.

However, if the runs are horizontal, then do use support cables and turnbuckles and keep them tight!

I've had my mega-tree up each year since 2003. The strings are 3 colors of lights (individual strings zipped together) with no additional support. Even with some pretty good winds at times, at no time have there been any failures.

I can't vouch for your conditions, but adding additional support would be overkill in mine.

Max-Paul wrote:

Just my two cents. And no, I have not built a mega tree yet. But being 2nd gen German here in the states. I tend to build with lots of margarine of error into my projects (got that from grandpa). So, saying that, I would go with the small cable in the plastic jacket and then tie my light strings to that. Then the topper would have hooks and the cable would end in a loop that would go over the hooks. And a strong hoop at the bottom of tree that is weighed down. The cables would then attach to the hoop. Thus no real strain on the light strands. End of season, take the loop off of the topper and leave attached to hoop. Then lay strings along the hoop and fasten to the hoop. Spiral them onto the hoop in cascade fashion, if you can visualize what I am trying to say.

That is what I am planning on doing next year.

Tim Fischer wrote:

I've had my mega-tree up each year since 2003. The strings are 3 colors of lights (individual strings zipped together) with no additional support. Even with some pretty good winds at times, at no time have there been any failures.

I can't vouch for your conditions, but adding additional support would be overkill in mine.

I've seen Tim's house, he had to shovel out the tops of the arches from snow, and I am sure he gets his fair share of 50+mph winds, so I'm guessing that you don't really need supports.

Having said that I am looking to build my first mega tree this year too. I was assuming with the weather that we have in Minnesota that a wire frame would be mandatory, now I'm re-thinking my design.

Max-Paul wrote:

I tend to build with lots of margarine of error into my projects (got that from grandpa...

Makes me wonder if maybe you and your Grandpa were juuuuust a bit too close... have you shared this with your therapist?

I agree with JBullard, if these runs are horizontal you definitly want extra support. All that wieght is going to be felt on the light sockets and your wires are going to try and pull out of the sockets, even in low winds.

If you put up the center pole with thin galv cable to guy it (wanting to support the light strings), you have the option of either having the runs go straight down the cables like a normal MegaTree, or... twist them down from the top of the pole, creating a Webber Tree (the mega tree that spirals..) it's one of the coolest things going now..

Like this... http://vimeo.com/17140397

its really a normal MT, just wrapped in a spiral instead of hanging straight down.

George Simmons wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
I tend to build with lots of margarine of error into my projects (got that from grandpa...

Makes me wonder if maybe you and your Grandpa were juuuuust a bit too close... have you shared this with your therapist?

I am going to have to remember you two guys. First slip up and I am going to make sure your buns get a real good buttering also. :cool: :shock: :)

Geez, A guy cant get any respect around here. :dude: