Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Cube

DanCampbell

Jeff Millard wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
I'm going to do the same...

I'll build two of the cubes and associated hardware if you'll work on the S/W end of this monster. Talk to ya via email later...

J

Okay, but I've never worked with DMX before. But hey, I write in several languages. One more will be good.

Jeff Millard wrote:

It looks to me like there's a primer on how they did it... I tried to read it but I kept falling asleep. I have no doubt I can build it. In fact, with Andy and Chuck around...

I heard my name....;) Get back out to your cave and build, sleep later

So let's get some boards made. I'll take five of them. I'd like to have one at work and at least four of them in a display. And I'd like to build most of them myself as I get time.

I downloaded the pdf and Ill try to get to it this weekend. I learn the code and figure out what we need.

I'd much rather talk to a CPU than a person.

Pretty cool. Would have to have the right place to display it though in order to get the proper viewing angle to actually see the cool 3D effects. I doubt that looking at it straight on would provide the same "satisfaction." Hence why the video was shot at that angle. Maybe if high enough, a tree topper might provide such an angle.
Nifty either way...

Ah, come on guys. Think big!

How about one made out of C9 retro LED bulbs and with outside dimentions of about 48" x 48" x 48" This would be about 6" between C9 bulbs. Would need about 24 SSRs.

I think this is a great project. It surely has the wow factor. But for what we do, this needs to be taken to the next step and enlarged. Although I could see someone making this a tree topper. Setting it on a corner. Getting rid of the wooden block and just very carefully hid the wires feeding the arrays.

I am not going to be able to get involved in this project at this time. But encourage you guys to think big and build something that can sit in the front yard and wow people out at the curb.

Good luck to all of you with your project. I am envious of you all. This is neat.

Max-Paul wrote:

Ah, come on guys. Think big!

How about one made out of C9 retro LED bulbs and with outside dimentions of about 48" x 48" x 48" This would be about 6" between C9 bulbs. Would need about 24 SSRs.

I think this is a great project. It surely has the wow factor. But for what we do, this needs to be taken to the next step and enlarged. Although I could see someone making this a tree topper. Setting it on a corner. Getting rid of the wooden block and just very carefully hid the wires feeding the arrays.

I was looking at the video and C7 kept coming to mind.

Jeff Millard wrote:

rjnitto wrote:
Wouldn't this make a great tree topper?

Richard

That's it! rj just gave the thing an actual use in the display! (btw, I'm telling Dawn it his fault I'm spending all the time and money on the thing!)

The newness was wearing thin on the idea, but now it's a gotta have! I looked at BestHongKong last night, but they only had Red, Yellow and Yellow/Green in wholesale LEDs of this type. I'm going to wait until the end of January to try them again to see if they get some blue up, if not I'm gonna get the red and green. You need 512, and they come in 1000's. I'll see if they have them on loose numbers, and just pull the trigger if they don't. If I have time this week, I'll look into making a BOM and see what the parts will cost in multiples.

As for a PCB, it would really drive the cost up to have one manufactured. I think it'd be just as easy to use a standard project board as they did in the instructable. BHK has them in the sale section, so I'll get some when I order LEDs. I've got 1000 of the same LEDs from BHK in clear. They're of the better quality the instructable author speaks of. I put a couple dozen in my backpack to take to work. I want to see just how hard it is to make this jig and assemble one of these cubes. I'll bet they're very delicate, but we've got some pretty delicate ornimants that require just as much care.

Now, to plan for some kind of cool mount for a tree. (Indoor, of course)

Dan Campbell, thanks for the link to this thing. Now I have something cool to obsess over!

Jeff

If you're looking for LED's, shop Ebay. You can get all types, colors, intensities and small and large quantities. There are several venders, so shop and compare. Most LED's are shipped from China, so expect about 3 weeks delivery.

It would make a he11 of a tree topper! It would require some unique challenges to mount it.

Jeff Millard wrote:

scubado wrote:
If you're looking for LED's, shop Ebay.

Naw, I (along with the author) have had bad experiences with eBay and loose LEDs. 3 buys and I got junk every time. The BestHongKong quality is there, and the wholesale prices are comparable to the eBay BIN prices, but the eBay sellers won't bundle shipping. BHK does. You might pay $20 for 1000 3mm 5000mcd, and $20 shipping for either place, but add 2 more sets of a 1000, and the shipping goes up $5 at BHK, it would be $40 more on eBay.

Just my 2 cents. I'll stick with a vendor I've had success with.

Max,

That's a good idea, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it... so I'm gonna build the mini and put it on an indoor tree. I would like to see someone else make one though. Or, at least come up with a cheap way to drive 120vac incandescent bulbs so they switch on and off fast enough to cause the perception of vision that's used to create the images in this design. I can't imagine how you would get a C9 to react quickly enough for that, but, like I said... I'm not smart enough to say it couldn't be done...

Jeff

I've always had good luck ordering led's on Ebay. Most of the vendors I deal with have free shipping. I will look at BestHongkong to see what they have. BTW, you can get a lot brighter than 5000 mcd on Ebay.

Jeff Millard wrote:

I looked and looked on eBay for this style LED in blue(my personal preference) and all of them wanted a flat $20 for shipping.

My experience with eBay is that when they inflate the shipping costs, they are just trying to recoup some money from their low prices...

When I get home later, I'll post the Ebay vendors I deal with, mostly free shipping and prices are good. The vendors I deal with don't sell older not so bright led's, that might be why you're seeing high shipping.

Jeff,

If you go back and reread my post. Does it not say something to the effect of C9 Retro LED bulbs?

Although you make a good point about the time delay introduced with the SSR and I would imagine that you would need say a 2N2222A transistor off of the chips output lead. Now those two components might not react quickly enough.