Light-O-Rama Forums

Real mega tree

jeff bush

This tree is the first thing you see when you drive up to our house. It stands about 35 to 40 foot tall. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to decorate it (trunk and lower limbs, color?) I told my wife it would take a million lights and a bucket truck to do it right but that would be outrageous in cost.

I am trying to incorporate this in the holiday sequence.

Thanks

Attached files 232747=12740-Tree 1.jpg

Personally...I think a tree half done looks bad...so if you can't do it all, don't do it.

There is a church down the road from me with a similar tree..and they just hang about 10 strings straight down from the very top equally spaced around the tree...but that would require a cherry picker...or a nimble neighbor kid who loves to climb...

I have a few neighbor kids around here but I don't think they could find there way through to the end of the branches----great thought though!

I'm "guilty" of doing the "half a tree" thing. I think half a tree lit is better than none at all. You really aren't focusing on the "dark" things when watching the display anyway...

I'm "guilty" of doing the "half a tree" thing. I think half a tree lit is better than none at all. You really aren't focusing on the "dark" things when watching the display anyway...

Great thought! This is the first Christmas we had here, still trying to figure out the scheme for next year. I plan to add several more controllers before all is complete.

jimswinder wrote:

...or a nimble neighbor kid who loves to climb...
I wouldn't use a neighbor kid, thats just a lawsuit waiting to happen(although I know Jim was kidding). Rent the Genie Boom for the safety!

kzaas wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
...or a nimble neighbor kid who loves to climb...
I wouldn't use a neighbor kid, thats just a lawsuit waiting to happen(although I know Jim was kidding). Rent the Genie Boom for the safety!

ahhhhh...for the good old days when you could hire a neighbor kid to do dangerous work for a quarter....

PerryH wrote:

I saw where a hotel somewhere uses net lighting to do thier trees. Just get enough to cover the tree, tie them together and wrap the tree. Might be a little easier than strings.

This is what I do. I had never been a fan of net lights. I thought they just looked too perfect, when people used them on small bushes. However I have 6 trees along our street, and for the last 3 years I have wrapped them in a giant net, and I think it looks pretty good.

Granted my trees are not this big.

Get yourself two pool poles and u-bolt them together (should be about 40'), take a paint roller frame and bend it into a hook then insert it into the end of the pole.

Drape the lights in a swag around the tree from top to bottom. You might even find some of those gigantic ornaments to hang as well.

BrianC wrote:

Get yourself two pool poles and u-bolt them together (should be about 40'), take a paint roller frame and bend it into a hook then insert it into the end of the pole.

Drape the lights in a swag around the tree from top to bottom. You might even find some of those gigantic ornaments to hang as well.

Just be sure that the wind is not blowing (at all), or that 40 foot long stick will be everywhere except where you want it to be.

Also make sure there aren't any power lines even close to the vicinity, or things could go wrong quickly...

jeff bush wrote:

What size bulbs do you think on this monster?

Do you mean the envelope size of the bulbs?

The answer would depend on how many lights and other decorations you plan to use, and if you are using LEDs or Incadescents. If incadescents, how much power do you have available? The smaller the bulb envelope the more lights you will need to use. The bigger the bulb envelope the less you would use.

What kind of light budget have you dedicated for this tree?

If I go the the pile method I will more then likely go with bugs led bulb 'c5 or 7 rather than minis or maybe c9, not sure exactly. Don't want to spend a small fortune but wil spend enough to make it look classy if I do it.

This is what I've done with the 50'+ Oak in my front yard. 32k concave LEDs, took two days with a 60' bucket truck and crew. I already have plans for next year to bring the base ring higher off the ground and incorporate the 4 colors as a strand instead of everyone hanging separately.

Attached files 233165=12753-Tree 1.jpg

Based on the date and the snow, did you just take that picture? The snow missed us entirely in Granbury. Perhaps it got Bonham?