Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I make segmented arches?

MikeH

This was my first year in the LOR addiction. I started with 1 controller and now I know I'm in need of at least 3 more for next year.

I have seen the many youtube vids on how to make arches. I'm leaning more towards the segmented type arch.

Questions:

1. How do you keep the lights from sliding off or unravelling on each segment?

2. Are the extension cords for each channel run underneath each segment? That is to say, between the pvc pipe the segment slides onto and the segment itself.

3. Do the segments create a spacing when the pvc is bent to form the arch and is it noticeable?

Anyone have pics?

MikeH

MikeH wrote:

This was my first year in the LOR addiction. I started with 1 controller and now I know I'm in need of at least 3 more for next year.

I have seen the many youtube vids on how to make arches. I'm leaning more towards the segmented type arch.

Questions:

1. How do you keep the lights from sliding off or unravelling on each segment?

2. Are the extension cords for each channel run underneath each segment? That is to say, between the pvc pipe the segment slides onto and the segment itself.

3. Do the segments create a spacing when the pvc is bent to form the arch and is it noticeable?

Anyone have pics?

MikeH

1. I use a zip tie at the end

2. Mine are just hanging, they do look neater if you slide them under the sleeve

3. No.

Also I used 7 channels, if you use an even number, there will be a split right at the top and in my opinion, not look as good as an odd number. try doing a search on arches.

Here is the thread that started it all:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/36584-Easy-way-to-make-arches!!!

and follow up:
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/39647-Arch-Sleeves

Here was a test video of mine from last fall. (7ch arch using Harbs' sleeve technique. 50ct LED per channel.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGWova893M?fs=1&hl=en_US

Here is a shot of them in the snow in the display:
http://vimeo.com/17868792

I just read that 1st link you posted SFD and find it weird that the thread was closed after page 3?? That shoulda stayed alive for further updates/improvements. What I did read was good information though...

Bob Wingert wrote:

I just read that 1st link you posted SFD and find it weird that the thread was closed after page 3?? That shoulda stayed alive for further updates/improvements. What I did read was good information though...

I think that is why the second thread was started.

Here is video of my 4 section archs. To the trained eye you can tell they are not as nice as the 7 section that most use but it will WOW the average person stopping for your display. For us newby's and money strapped, it allows for far less channels.

There was a gentleman that created a fountain pole display that was on one of the forums where he used the same concept of the arches but had straight poles with the lights. He arranged them light a water fountain in a park. By chance does anyone have that link or know who he is? I would like to do the same next year.

Thanks

I had 5 arches of 7 channels each for a total of 14 channels. 3 arches on 7 and the other 2 on 7 channels. Put the 2 arches in front of the 3 and in the middle so it looked liked they split the back ones. Got a lot of compliments on them this year.

Wrong pic ,sorry Just add another arch in back, the pink color.

Attached files 232689=12738-Archs.jpg

Chris D. Brooks wrote:

There was a gentleman that created a fountain pole display that was on one of the forums where he used the same concept of the arches but had straight poles with the lights.  He arranged them light a water fountain in a park.  By chance does anyone have that link or know who he is?  I would like to do the same next year. 

Thanks  

Is this what your looking for?
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1780480152335

MikeA wrote:

Here is video of my 4 section archs. To the trained eye you can tell they are not as nice as the 7 section that most use but it will WOW the average person stopping for your display. For us newby's and money strapped, it allows for far less channels.

Very nice! So your 4 arches only took 16 channels?

I am adding arches this year.

Good job!

PaulXmas wrote:

MikeA wrote:

Very nice! So your 4 arches only took 16 channels?

I am adding arches this year.

Good job!

Yes, 4 arches, 16 channels. Also makes programming easy. Just break the beats down to 4 timings per beat which also works great for a 16 section mega tree.

Many thanks to all that provided your ideas. I will definately be doing arches next season. I am very greatful to everyone on this forum. All of you come up with such great ideas and innovations. Keep up the good work.

MikeH

Chris D. Brooks wrote:

There was a gentleman that created a fountain pole display that was on one of the forums where he used the same concept of the arches but had straight poles with the lights. He arranged them light a water fountain in a park. By chance does anyone have that link or know who he is? I would like to do the same next year.

Thanks

The first one of these I saw was done by Steve Bang. It was done for the city of Marshfield WI. He called it "Electric Splash". The YouTube link below shows the creation of the display and the lights in action.

MikeA wrote:

did you use a canned sequence or create your own?

shfr26 wrote:

I had 5 arches of 7 channels each for a total of 14 channels. 3 arches on 7 and the other 2 on 7 channels. Put the 2 arches in front of the 3 and in the middle so it looked liked they split the back ones. Got a lot of compliments on them this year.

I like the idea of less channels but I'm a little confused. If you are only using 14 channels, are you only able to control the "sets" rather than individual arches? Meaning, I assume you can't control all 5 arches separately.

(assuming the missing arch is labeled E), you can control A/B/E and C/D but not just B and D. Jeez that might be more confusing ....

rheide wrote:

shfr26 wrote:

I like the idea of less channels but I'm a little confused. If you are only using 14 channels, are you only able to control the "sets" rather than individual arches? Meaning, I assume you can't control all 5 arches separately.

(assuming the missing arch is labeled E), you can control A/B/E and C/D but not just B and D. Jeez that might be more confusing ....

That is correct. But you can get alot of effects with the "tops" so close together rather spread out. Hope that makes sense. You can do like section 3,4,5 for all of them and get like a wave crest effect.