Light-O-Rama Forums

Butt Splices

George Simmons

kzaas wrote:

I too use butt splices, but I have a question for you guys. Why are you worried about sealing the splice when your plugs aren't sealed and neither are the lights?

Because of the closeness of the two bare wires. Cut the end off of a cord and place the cut in a single drop of water and watch what happens.

garyfunk wrote:

kzaas wrote:
I too use butt splices, but I have a question for you guys. Why are you worried about sealing the splice when your plugs aren't sealed and neither are the lights?

Because of the closeness of the two bare wires. Cut the end off of a cord and place the cut in a single drop of water and watch what happens.

I'm not sure I follow you Gary... which two bare wires are you referring to - the two the butt splice joins? If they're properly crimped aren't they, in essence, one now? What did I miss here?

garyfunk wrote:

kzaas wrote:

Gary, I do follow what your saying, but with the length of the butt splices, that puts the bare wire just as far apart as your plug prongs.

While using a butt splice on each wire does seperate them, that seperation can be as small as 1/4 inch.

Maybe it is just as safe, but why take any chances, considering these may be at ground level and near water.

You know, I'm really proud of you guys in not letting this thread go off on a whole other tangent because I still smile every time I read the thread title.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

You know, I'm really proud of you guys in not letting this thread go off on a whole other tangent because I still smile every time I read the thread title.

Warning!!!!

Fork in road.

Please chose wisely. :shock:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Brian Mitchell wrote:

Warning!!!!

Fork in road.

Please chose wisely. :shock:

I choose to be literal!

fork%20in%20the%20road.jpg

friskybri wrote:

Ok is the butt splices something like these.

OH, GOD. MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING!

THAT is hilarious!