Light-O-Rama Forums

Display signs

Joe Faggione

For my first LOR display this year I made up 3 signs 2x3 ft., all are lit with spotlights.. All the signs say " TUNE TO 88.7 FM" . Five people asked what that ment,,one lady rang my doorbell and told me that my lights were going on & off....and then got behide the wheel and drove off !! I guess its ok as long as she doesn't kill someone on her way home.....Joe

I put up two signs so you could see them from both directions. They said "Tune your car radio to 88.1 FM to hear the music. It matches the lights".

A number of people would pull up, set for about two minutes and then drive off.

The only way you can help some would be to wait at the curb, get in their car, tune their radio, wait a few minutes until they discovered the lights matched the music and then go to the next car. Depending on the traffic, you might need a lot of help.

The advice I have heard (and use) is to use the word "RADIO" in your signs. Otherwise, a lot of people will think: "Tune what?" Also, don't make the signs blend in, and use big letters.

Here's mine (We use two - one on each side of the street.):
IMG_2248.JPG

i put two signs out 12' by 24" and without lights, no good people did not notice them. so i made one out of peg board and led 70 count lights. this was the ticket. the size of the sign was 2'x4' this work great. a lot more people stay and watch the shows longer. it only goes to show that a good sign is the best way to let viewers know about the music and the radio station.

Steven wrote:

The advice I have heard (and use) is to use the word "RADIO" in your signs. Otherwise, a lot of people will think: "Tune what?"

SO true! It never ceases to amaze me how stupid people can really be.

My sign is right near the curb, away from the rest of the display. It stands out quite a bit, so I've never had that much trouble.

I had one person that did not have a working display on their car stereo, I had to get in the car and keep pressing the seek button till I found it.

another one told me that their Toyota did not go down to 88.1 so again I had to go into their car and set it for them ........

MY two signs were made from old "RE-ELECT MAYOR******", used the back side & bought two solar spotlights for $19.95,they auto turn on at dusk but must be turned off by hand when I turn off display. They worked really well, but need to add the word "RADIO" for next year...

No matter what it says, some won't 'get it' ... surprisingly

I think the key is to make the sign big and easy to read.

Sorry, I know this is slightly OT, but was wondering from the posts... do y'all not play the music over speakers as well? I know we have to be considerate of our neighbors and not play too loud or late, but I also want to be able to entertain the walk-ups. Just wondering. TIA

ShantaClausSm.png

We get walk ups all the time. Often people get out of their cars. We have speakers in 3 locations about 50' apart with one set across the street, but it sounds much better out of a good automotive radio.

The temperature here after dark in December is often in the mid 50's. The displays in colder climates may get fewer people willing to step out of their warm cars.

Still talking signs, does any one use an old computer display for the sign? (I've got one I can put on a balcony, but can't find good software to run it)

PS. if there is no good software and there is interest, I may find the time to write some, and share it.

Steven wrote:

khawes wrote:
but can't find good software to run it

PowerPoint?

i had thought of that, but wanted to have a static portion (the station) and a scrolling portion, (current song, hours etc) & I'm no PowerPoint jockey

My house is quite interestingly located. You turn off of the main road and it wraps around to my house which sits in the cul-d-sack(spelling). The main road is on the back side of my house. I have 18,000 of my 20,000 lights in the front yard, and I have this sign (pictured) in the front and back yard.

I had some people park in the back yard and just watch the eave of the house blink to the music. I went out and told them to pull around and they said in amazement, "It's even better in the front?"

Point being... The stupid people are easy to please if they can make it to show.

Next year I am going to add the words Musical Lights or Light Show and add signs where people need to turn with arrows.

Nick

Attached files 233507=12764-151.JPG