Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas, forumla, etc?

gt6974a

So I stumbled across LOR this year via youTube and am interested in doing my own display next year. I found several local vendors with cheap after Christmas LED's.

Thing is, I'm not sure where to get started. I figured concentrate on 'White' lights for the now.

My local garden ridge has several tree lights on sale and figured I'd pick up some, they come LED 70 ct. per box for minis and some C9.

I only have 2 trees in my yard, but several bushes.

I figured buy some artificial trees and decorate the 2 I have. One happens to be about a 20 ft. Christmas like tree.

Thing is, I don't know how much to buy or plan for, is there a formula or general equation to use for circumfrance x height?

Also, if I buy 5 or 7 artificial trees should I get 6 ft not lit as they're at $5 or plan on building tomato trees?

I'll try to get a pic up for comparison.

The tree on the left is crape murdle (spelling?) that gets cut down every year. To the left side of the yard, out of the picture, is the 20ft Christmas looking tree.

To the right of the white truck is a 25+ ft. Holly type tree that grows up the side of the home.

Attached files 232119=12723-house.jpg

I don't know if there is a formula or not for the trees but a good formula people use is: When you think you have enough lights, BUY MORE! Same goes for ext. cords.

You have a great house for decorating, loads of rooftop to trace. Nice looking yard... Concider tracing the driveway, maybe with tomato trees. It all depends on how far you want to jump into this.

Welcome to the addiction, my friend.

Until you know exactly where you are headed (and how much you are going to spend), staying with all clear lights is not a bad idea. You might, on the other hand, want to throw an element or two in that are different (say a green wreath, or a blow mold or two). The thing is that YOU are the designer. So you kind of have to try a few slightly different things at first to see what works for you.

As far as tree height, the general rule of thumb I use is 100 lights per foot of height. However, I use a series of 4-foot artificial trees that have only 200 lights of each color (clear, red and green) on each one. At four feet tall, the diameter is small enough that 200 lights appears dense enough (though you could go for more).

IMHO, the foliage on artificial trees helps the light appear more full than if the lights were place on chicken wire (tomato cage) mini trees. I use a row of nine 4-foot trees right down across the front of the yard. Up close to the house are two 7.5-foot and three 6-foot artificial trees. This mixes with 9 smaller shrubs. I don't have a picture handy, but I'll try to get one for you soon. To mount the artificials, I pound a T-bar fence post into the ground, then zip-tie the tree to it. This does a pretty good job of keeping the trees from twisting and/or bending in the wind.

As you go through this process, it will be good for you to decide soon how many channels you want (and can afford) for your first year. Remember, every channel you use is going to require an appropriate extension cord of some kind. You'll find there are ancillary purchases necessary. But, as you probably already know, you're going to love it.

BTW, looking at your picture, you may not need taller artificials, unless that crepe myrtle gets cut in the fall.

Nurples wrote:

I don't know if there is a formula or not for the trees but a good formula people use is: When you think you have enough lights, BUY MORE! Same goes for ext. cords.

You have a great house for decorating, loads of rooftop to trace. Nice looking yard... Concider tracing the driveway, maybe with tomato trees. It all depends on how far you want to jump into this.

I agree...those rooflines are begging for icicle or similar lights..I did a large (but not even half...) of my total roofline in blue, and got a ton of compliments....and I freeling and willingly admit I grabbed the idea from a picture I saw here on the forum.

And you can't go wrong with mini-trees for a first year (speaking from experience..:cool:)...

My two "from one newbie to another" bits of advice would be...plan now, and set a date to lock down your design..I was tweaking way too late in the year. Lock it down, and accept the fact you will have to say to some idea.."well, I can do that next year.."

Second..I loved everything about my first year foray into this adventure (aka hobby, aka addiction), except wrapping those danged mini-trees...if you decide to go that route, get them done, and out of the way...wrapping trees the week of thanksgiving like some people were doing..(won't name names..:() definitely is not where you want to be.

Oh, and buy a lot of SPT, plug ends, extension cords, etc..:D

gt6974a wrote:

I found several local vendors with cheap after Christmas LED's.

My local garden ridge has several tree lights on sale and figured I'd pick up some, they come LED 70 ct. per box for minis and some C9.

Welcome to LOR.

You might want to search on this forum for literally tons of info on LED's, the various types and their compatibility with LOR, specifically fading. You can go insane reading all the info. The short version is that not all LED strings are created equal.

You have a great house to decorate. Kinda reminds me of Richard Holdman's house, and look at what he has done with it.
http://www.holdman.com/christmas/

First, welcome.

Now a few things to think about. Sure LEDs are more expensive to purchase. But not knowing your electrical panel. It might take a few years, but if you go with icans. It will cost a lot to put in a sub panel or more service in the future and your electrical bills will sky rocket.

Now, not all LED strings play nicey like with any kind of controller. be it LOR or AL or any other name I am not adding in the list. Also, there are more issues with big name box stores. I would suggest you go with some of the vendors here.

Welcome to the madness. You've got a great blank canvas to start with. Download the software NOW and start playing with it. The software is the full package except you can't control lights until you get the license. It's early enough to plan on at least 48 channels for this year for practice. You probably won't be happy with less than 48 channels. Figure out what you want to do, order lights during the presales going on now from CDI: http://www.creativedisplays.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/FileViewerLayout.asp?docid=552&DocName=Announcements
or from: http://www.magicinthesky.com/lighting/pc.htm

Order your controllers and software license during the July LOR sale. Start buying extension cords when they're on sale, Menards is THE place to get ext. cords.

scubado wrote:

Menards is THE place to get ext. cords.

Not necessarily. The original poster only lists Ackworth as a location.

If he lives in Ackworth, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, there is not a Menards

If he lives in Acworth, IA there is not a Menards

If he lives in Ackworth, GA there is not a Menards

So unless the OP lives somewhere that has a Menards store, then Menards will not be THE place to get ext. cords.

If it wasn't for Menards sponsorship in NASCAR, I would have NO idea of what they are

JBullard wrote:

scubado wrote:
Menards is THE place to get ext. cords.

Not necessarily. The original poster only lists Ackworth as a location.

If he lives in Ackworth, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, there is not a Menards

If he lives in Acworth, IA there is not a Menards

If he lives in Ackworth, GA there is not a Menards

So unless the OP lives somewhere that has a Menards store, then Menards will not be THE place to get ext. cords.

If it wasn't for Menards sponsorship in NASCAR, I would have NO idea of what they are

I agree. If it was not for their NASCAR sponsorship I would not know of them either.

We have none around here that I know of.

I would say that 1000' spools of SPT 1 or 2 is THE way to go. ; )

This know this isn't the question that was asked, but the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was a CCR running down that two-story drain pipe.

George Simmons wrote:

. . . the first thing I thought when I saw the picture was a CCR running down that two-story drain pipe.

George has got his mind in the gutter again.

Thanks y'all. I updated my profile. I'm in Georgia, Metro Atlanta

I was hesitant on the LED lights from Garden Ridge as I had read about copper vs metal sockets and rusting.

I've been bumping around the threads and looking and will continue. At first I considered the Ican. lights but none were really available after Christmas, just LED's. I've seen the online sales, I guess I just have to figure out the amount of hit I'm willing to take.

Seems like the cheaper LED's last a couple seasons at least, and that might be easier and cheaper to replace with after christmas cheap LED lights, than just buying the expensive ones now?

Any recs on 'White' vs 'Warm White' as far as long term use with RED, GREEN? I don't really see 'warm' red and green LEDS. House near me had the LED 'White' and 'Blue' and they seemed alot brighter than the ican. lights.

"White" is all a personal choice. I can't abide the "cool white" or "pure white" for most things. Too blue looking . . . besides the warmth from the incandescent is something I really like. And many of the so-called "warm white" LEDs are really nothing of the sort. So . . .

Creative Designs (CDI) has "sunny warm white". I got a C9 replacement bulb from them and believe it to be far closer to incandescent than anything else I've seen. The red and green LEDs are really nice.

IMHO, make sure what you get is fully-rectified. And as for my money, when I make the switch, I'll go with non-replaceable-LED strings rather than figure on replacing the strings every couple of years.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Creative Designs (CDI) has "sunny warm white".

Minor (major) correction - it is Creative Displays Inc, not Designs

Thanks, John! Caught it after my edit time was over.

I knew I shouldn'ta had that last bourbon on the way home . . .

BTW, what whites do you use in your display?