Light-O-Rama Forums

Thanking the neighbors

centauri61032

Hey all!! I was wondering if any of you have come up with some creative way of thanking your neighbors for putting up with your display and the traffic each year. My neighbors are actually very supportive. But I would still like to make up some kind of a homemade card with some cute poem or something in it to express it. Can anyone share anything they may have come up with?

Thanks!

centauri61032 wrote:

Nope. Freeport, Illinois. In the beautiful state of Chicago.

You obviously haven't been to Wisconsin if you reference Chicago as beautiful. :P

Just kidding, welcome to the addiction!

The Thank-you idea is nice, but I got nothin' for ya on that, my first LOR year also.

Not sure it's "creative" but a nice gift basket of fruit/meat/whatever would probably be appreciated...

A nice idea. But I have about a dozen neighbors I want to thank, so that might be a bit expensive. (Have to save the pennies for more controllers, you know!) I was thinking something more like a homemade card with some witty saying in it.

centauri61032 wrote:

I was thinking something more like a homemade card with some witty saying in it.

My lights are sometimes red
And sometimes they blink blue
But as my neighbor
I ALWAYS want to thank you!!

centauri61032 wrote:

I was thinking something more like a homemade card with some witty saying in it.

If you have pictures of your display, pick a nice one, spend a few minutes cleaning it up, then use it for the front of a card.

Sorry, I don't have a poem like Jim's. Maybe you could use his!

How about a year long membership to the "jelly of the month club" :P

Its the gift that keeps on giving...

I have one neighbor that complains that she can see it spinning with the shades down. I thanked her by making it bigger and more strobes for next year.

One of my friends at work came up with this idea....

Thanksgiving day. Oh what a fright!
Here come those blasted Christmas lights!

This time of year is such a pain.
The Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train,

the traffic jams, the constant glow,
another round of Yellow Snow.

All December, what a bitch.
Hey look, there's someone in the ditch!

I guess it's really not so bad.
It sure does make the people glad!

This light show is a rarity,
and they collect for charity.

New Year's Day, the show is done.
I think I'm going to miss the fun.

You know, it's way to dark out there.
I wonder what they'll add next year?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I wouldn't say anything that suggests you think your display is a big hassle to the neighbors (like that poem does).

It's ok. My neighbors are as nuts as I am, and are actually very supportive. Some of them even help set up the display. But thanks for the input!

My last night is Thursday (Epiphany, aka "The Twelfth Night after Christmas).

Here is a draft of what I intend to put on each door on just my street later today (about 20 houses). That will include some neighbors who really haven't been impacted but where do I draw the line? Perhaps, "if you can hear my radio!"

http://www.granburychristmaslights.com

JonB

Attached files LightShow thankyou invitation.pdf

I run my snowblower up and down the sidewalks.2 of my neighbors say i can do anything i want on their yards.I have a surprise next year for the one right next to me in the form of arches and mini trees :D

We made assorted Christmas cookies for the neighbors. We also rent a man-lift to put up/take down the display, so I also trimmed some their trees.
Look for ways to help your neighbors throughout the year, they'll remember you at Christmas.

friskybri wrote:

I have one neighbor that complains that she can see it spinning with the shades down. I thanked her by making it bigger and more strobes for next year.

That's the kind of neighbor we have on the south side, so we're not having to worry about giving them any cookies. (Been that way ever since our first year in '08 when they debuted their 6-channel thing on the same night we went live with 144 - and then I made fun of them in a radio announcement.) The neighbor on the other side is part of the show and lets us do anything we want to his property and then he brings US cookies.

I soften up the neighbors before Christmas with a tree trimming party. Keep the evening open with hours for them to drop by and enjoy some food and booze.

It helps with building friendships and helps you to decorate the inside of the house too! They'll be able to see your passion (obession) and hear why you do it ("for the kids", "for charity", or "I'm nuts". They'll be more receptive to any inconveniences in the future. At minimum they'll approach you instead of building hatred when the shows begin running. They may even offer suggestions to help.

Kids love decorating so separate the breakable decorations from the rest and let them go to town.

Chuck

George Simmons wrote:

(Been that way ever since our first year in '08 when they debuted their 6-channel thing on the same night we went live with 144 - and then I made fun of them in a radio announcement.)
I like the way you think George. I need to make fun of them on a radio announcement. Wait till disney night next year with all the fireworks, lights and videos. Getting another 100 pro launcher tubes.