Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing current music files

gilbarcotech

Hello All,

I'm rather new to christmas light show's, been watching video's on you tube and must say I'm Hooked. Just bought LOR S2 software suite and am curious I have tons of christmas music stored on my computer and would like to figure out a way to convert those files into my 2011 show using the S2 software. Is this doable and how do I go about it???????

gilbarcotech wrote:

Hello All,

I'm rather new to christmas light show's, been watching video's on you tube and must say I'm Hooked. Just bought LOR S2 software suite and am curious I have tons of christmas music stored on my computer and would like to figure out a way to convert those files into my 2011 show using the S2 software. Is this doable and how do I go about it???????

You stated "convert those files". What format is your Christmas music currently?

The following audio file types are supported by LOR:

aif, aifc, aiff, mid, midi, mi, mp2, mp3, mpa, au, snd, wav, wma.

Video files supported are:

avi, mpe, mpeg, mpg, miv, asf, wm, wmv

Normally you do not "convert" music files for use with LOR software unless it is a file format not listed above.

Rather the music file is "associated" with the sequence you create by selecting from the Tool Bar in the Sequence Editor - Edit - Media File.

To add to John's comments, when you create a new musical sequence, the software will ask you for the name and location of the audio file you wish to use for that sequence.

I don't know how you feel about help files in general, but between them and this forum there aren't many questions that can't be answered. No matter your feelings about help files in general, in the case of the LOR software (and perhaps the hobby itself) it's critical that you familiarize yourself with everything there because you're going to use almost all of it..

Welcome aboard! Happy New Year!

George Simmons wrote:

To add to John's comments, when you create a new musical sequence, the software will ask you for the name and location of the audio file you wish to use for that sequence.

I don't know how you feel about help files in general, but between them and this forum there aren't many questions that can't be answered. No matter your feelings about help files in general, in the case of the LOR software (and perhaps the hobby itself) it's critical that you familiarize yourself with everything there because you're going to use almost all of it..

Welcome aboard! Happy New Year!

Help files are wonderful. I use them almost all the time before I reply to a post offering assistance. That's where I got the list of supported media types, just clicked on HELP in the LOR S2 software, and - presto- there's the answer.

George Simmons wrote:

Well that explains why you seem like such a know-it-all... ;) Now we know your secret.

Shhh, don't tell everyone that I'm really a stupid idiot, George, but I can read.

Mountainwxman wrote:

JBullard
but I can read.

Hook on phonics really works? lmao.

Sure does, you might want to try it too :P

To the original question, you probably want to make constant bit rate copies of your .mp3 files. If they are variable bit rate, they will still play, but if you are using "play visable screen", or any play range other than full sequence, things may not like up between play full range, and those subranges.

So it is strongly recommended, to use audacity to rewrite a new copy of the file for LOR use. Here is a reference for how to do it.

http://www.lightorama.com/PDF/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

Audacity is a great program. The pdf that klb shared will certainly help folks that may find it a bit intimidating.

You can also use other convertors. I still use an old version of Music Match (remember that one guys?) that gives a clean CBR conversion as well.

To equalize the mp3s, I use mp3 gain, which is a neat little software package that takes all of the mp3s in your directory (ies) and compares them to a reference level, checks for clipping, and then sets them all to that reference level, which is very quick and easy. You can select a different reference level if you like.

Mp3 gain will not work with wavs, just mp3s.

Greg