Light-O-Rama Forums

Display in back yard?

JeffF

The wifey and I have been discussing doing our display in our back yard next year so we can take a year off of traffic worries. We figure we'll do a small display out front with a few trees and blowups(maybe ~15,000 lights) and then do our full display out back just so we can enjoy it and not worry about traffic, or starting the lights early, or late, or not at all, or having someone flash their lights in our window, or beep their horn, or knock on the door, or email that the lights weren't on, or email that the live video feed didn't work or, or, or.... you get the idea.

At first I thought it wasn't the best idea but boy has it grown on me. I've been watching some of our videos and I can envision a similar layout out back, except we'll incorporate our work shed and the kids 2 story tree house and a couple *real* trees instead of my pole trees. ;) I really think it could be a fun, fun thing to do next year and I was just curious if anybody else has ever done something similar?

We are thinking we'll have various nights where we invite friends and family over and let everybody watch the lights from our back deck while sipping on hot chocolate(or coffee or something more adult even). :D I'm also thinking I could have a path through the display so our kids friends can walk through the display while it's on and really be a part of the display(as opposed to just sitting in their car watching).

Just tossing the idea around in my head and figured I'd ask here what people think.

-Jeff

We have one in the front yard and another in the backyard. The backyard is off from the sunroom, and it is for our enjoyment.

Go for it.

Thomas

Here is my opinion. This is my second year. And with the crowds growing. And the media coverage. See here,

I cannot just take a year off without pissing off others! We got 3 to 4 feet of snow all in one day. So my display was out of commission. And I have been FLOODED with email complaints asking why! So I worked all day today to get it uncleared, and its currently running.

But see if you take a year off, you too can be flooded just the same, and maybe risk "NO ONE" coming the following year because they don't want to "waste" their time. In their eyes. So it could really hurt the public, and you may not ever get them "all" back.

Its a risk. But there is options too. Everyone's layout is done differently and traffic effects everyone differently too.

Good Luck..........

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Here is my opinion. This is my second year. And with the crowds growing. And the media coverage. See here,

I cannot just take a year off without pissing off others! We got 3 to 4 feet of snow all in one day. So my display was out of commission. And I have been FLOODED with email complaints asking why! So I worked all day today to get it uncleared, and its currently running.

But see if you take a year off, you too can be flooded just the same, and maybe risk "NO ONE" coming the following year because they don't want to "waste" their time. In their eyes. So it could really hurt the public, and you may not ever get them "all" back.

Its a risk. But there is options too. Everyone's layout is done differently and traffic effects everyone differently too.

Good Luck..........

Worried about pissing off others? No way!

I do my display for MYSELF! Because I want to!.

I don't care if anyone sees my display or not.

I don't care if anyone that does see my display even likes it!

I do it for ME, and MY pleasure, only.

I turn down all media requests - always have and always will.

My ego does not need to be stroked by having my picture in the newspaper or on TV.

If anyone sends me an email or comes to my door because my lights aren't on, well F**K them. They don't pay for it, they don't spend the hundreds of hours in show prep, setup and take down.

My lights are for ME first! That's why I do it!

And when I get tired of it, I'll sell my controllers and lights and go do something else.

I am NOBODYS slave!

John - If you get tired of it and move on to something else before I do, I'd like first dibs on your CCRs. Thanks.

JBullard wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Good Luck..........

My ego does not need to be stroked by having my picture in the newspaper or on TV.

If anyone sends me an email or comes to my door because my lights aren't on, well F**K them. They don't pay for it, they don't spend the hundreds of hours in show prep, setup and take down.

And when I get tired of it, I'll sell my controllers and lights and go do something else.

I am NOBODYS slave!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

lol

I like your thoughts. I feel the same way to an extent. But Wow! lol, I love you statement!

George Simmons wrote:

John - If you get tired of it and move on to something else before I do, I'd like first dibs on your CCRs. Thanks.

Can I have first dibs on some controllers? Or Extensions cords? lol, Thanks John!

Actually, I'm dark this year. Moved into one of my other houses in October and didn't have time to set up the new infrastructure for a display. Almost kinda felt nice to have decided "no pressure" or deadlines. Sure I missed doing it. But I have designed a new layout for 2011, already working on all new sequences with the new display elements.

OK George, you've got dibs on the CCRs. How about the new pixel strings I'm adding this year?

Ray, have 30 controllers as of now (8 are DC boards), and over 6,000 feet of SPT cords - How many should I set aside for you - whenever I get ready?

JBullard wrote:

OK George, you've got dibs on the CCRs. How about the new pixel strings I'm adding this year?

In for a penny, in for a pound... put them on my list also...

I don't mean to rush things, but you DO have a will don't you?

JBullard wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Good Luck..........

I am NOBODYS slave!

don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...:D

I am forced to do my display in my backyard, I literly have no front yard. Plus we live on a very busy road. When I started the display 4 years ago I inquired with the borough about the possibility of traffic problems and if there is a way I can do this without causing a headache for either my neighbors or the borough. The solution was to move the display to the backyard (the good thing is our property boarders a school) The school allows people onto the property at night to see the show, plus the large lot has its benefits with parking. It is kinda odd to put lights on the rear of the house but given my situation it works. Would I like to do a show on the front of the house... yes.

I had a display in the backyard for the Wife and I. Problem? No speakers so it looked kinda odd. Next year it will just be static (using a couple channels to dim the lights). It just means more channels for the front next year :D

Tom Straub