Light-O-Rama Forums

My new addiction.....

Scott Allen

So back in early November, I did a search for "Christmas lights to music", and one of the first links were for a site called Light-O-Rama. I clicked the link and saw the controllers and thought to myself, "That might be kind of cool to do" and spent some time reading the forums. Since that day, i haven't been able to think about anything else.

Now I have one 16 channel controller (not even tested yet) and I already know how I want my lights set up. I have my power cables mapped out, I have already started making mini trees, and I even have an idea of what lights are going to do what sequence when.

Is there such a thing as being obsessed when it comes to decorating with lights? If so, I'm there. :shock:

I'm hoping that I won't need that much help with set up ideas, but I am going to hammer everyone with questions about the software, so be patient with me, I'm one of you now. :D

I hope everyone has an awesome New Year!

Weclome Scott .......

I too was a newbie this year and am addicted.

My show still runs for another week and I am already planning for 2011.

Ask as many questions as you have ... there is a wealth of knowledge here !

Dave

Welcome Scott,

No such thing here as obsessed...only nuts :D

Been building and sequencing for 2011 show for months now. I skipped rate over 2010, knowing that I would never be happy with it.

No one is obsessed - that word has such dark connotations. We're committed. No wait... that might give people the wrong idea... Let's just say we're determined, single-minded folk when it comes to decorating. I believe any one of us could stop what we're doing and walk away from this hobby at any time we want. I know I could. And I'll bet I could even stay away for a whole week if I had to. Okay, maybe for 5 days... and yes, it might be a long five days, but... aw nuts - just forget it - I've gotta get back to sequencing. See 'ya around.

Welcome Scott,

Hurry! You still have time to get a New Years show up and running. ; )

Sounds like you are on your way.

Scott, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I've been planning my light display for about two years now, but the military has kept me from doing it. I've put my foot down on Uncle Sam and decided he can't keep me away anymore. I've been addicted for several years now (even played with the trial software) and just started buying equipment this year. I'm pretty sure the people I work with think I'm crazy. Wait till they see my herd of 17' deer in my yard next year. HAHAHA!

If your married... Either get your wife addicted with you, buy her lots of things to distract her, or start paperwork on her...

The only limits on your display is your imagination and your woman! :D

--Earl

Nurples wrote:

If your married... Either get your wife addicted with you, buy her lots of things to distract her, or start paperwork on her...

--Earl

At the beginning you just have to buy enough stuff so she can't afford a lawyer. Once she sees the display live she may come around and be begging for more.

Your "New" addiction, our "old" addiction. Welcome!! And psssstt, start getting extention cords or make plans to get SPT wire. And if your married you may wanna get the wife involved OR go buy her a Kindle! Your life is about to change!

Scott Allen wrote:

So back in early November, I did a search for "Christmas lights to music", and one of the first links were for a site called Light-O-Rama. I clicked the link and saw the controllers and thought to myself, "That might be kind of cool to do" and spent some time reading the forums. Since that day, i haven't been able to think about anything else.

Now I have one 16 channel controller (not even tested yet) and I already know how I want my lights set up. I have my power cables mapped out, I have already started making mini trees, and I even have an idea of what lights are going to do what sequence when.

Is there such a thing as being obsessed when it comes to decorating with lights? If so, I'm there. :shock:

I'm hoping that I won't need that much help with set up ideas, but I am going to hammer everyone with questions about the software, so be patient with me, I'm one of you now. ;)

I hope everyone has an awesome New Year!

Rick Hughes wrote:

Not addicted ... Passionate.

And more passionate with each year which passes.

Yes we have this "passionate obsession " to sit for countless hours working on sequences hoping to put out at least 1 sequence per month, but if we get out 2 per month we are doing good.

I believe I put out 14 sequences this year. I finished my last sequence on December 23rd, 2010. Good thing you are starting now. I start some time in early January (timing marks) for now until I get sorted out what new controller goes where.

I already have a few ideas on where a few new controllers are going for 2011.

I am to the point now where I have been planning quick set up & take down (quick take down is important for me). Even my mini trees are quick take down.....no more waiting for the ground to thaw in April or even May.

This New Year I will only add a few new display items , but I will make the ones I have now even better than this year as well.

However this "passionate obsession " of mine got to the point where it took me from another "passion" of mine this year & when that happened then I realized just how much of a "passionate obsession " this thing can be.

So I plan to change that for 2011 because I want and like to hike the woods & see watchable wildlife.

This "passionate obsession " also gets to the point for a few of us to where we say "Is this worse it'? Then you really begin to think that after your display gets vandalized for the 1st time in 10 years since you moved to your new home.

This year like a number of posts I read on different forums, I kinda found myself in "no mans land"......I was sorta happy yet I was sorta just there when setting up the display.

Anyhow take it one step at a time & trust me when folks say buy extension cords or make your own do just that. If you figured you needed 48 cords for the display add another 20 more just in case.

This year I had cords left over for the 1st time in ten years.

Find a good balance.

And psssstt, start getting extention cords or make plans to get SPT wire.
trust me when folks say buy extension cords or make your own do just that. If you figured you needed 48 cords for the display add another 20 more just in case.

I am ordering a 1000' spool of SPT today ;) I am one of theose people that see a "rat's nest" of wiring and cringe, so I need a bunch of cord so I can make it look clean. Controller('s) mounted on a part of the wall in the garage and all the power run in a conduit in the attic. (I have a one story house.)

I really have lost sleep getting a plan together in my brain and on paper, but I think it will be worth it when i see the smiles on everyone's faces :D

Scott Allen wrote:

I really have lost sleep getting a plan together in my brain and on paper, but I think it will be worth it when i see the smiles on everyone's faces ;)

Say it ain't so! Please define sleep?!? My version: Lightly dose off and wake up to Christmas tunes playing in my head and working out all the how's and why's for next year.

And you are dead on with the smiles. It will make all the sleepless nights worth it. And when it comes time next year to light it up the 1st time. Thats when you won't sleep again until sometime in February!! Our 1st year (this) we had the news come out twice! And now are expecting another network to come visit this week. We also did a food drive which has raised over 700 lbs of food. It bring such joy to watch people dropping off groceries by the bag loads. Just no words to explain that.

Welcome to our world -{evil laugh}-

This is my second year.

As for the wife...mine has supported me all the way. She may have thought I was nuts listening to Christmas songs in the summer but a few days ago she said she wants a a bigger input for 2011!

There is nothing like the 1st time you see your lights flashing to the music!