Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR (not responding)

Denise Brunner

For the 2nd night in a row, I find my program (LOR) not responding. Been running my show on a brand new computer (Windows 7) since Thanksgiving. Everynight it has started up fine as scheduled. We had a huge snowstorm on Sunday and a brief power outage, since then my show will not start by itself. I see a message that LOR is not responding. As soon as I reboot the computer the show starts by itself (as it should via the scheduler). Not sure what is happening. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this ????

Denise Brunner

PS: running latest version of LOR

Try unplugging and replugging the USB adapter. If that causes the show to start, something is interfering with the USB. If so, make sure you have the filtered cable, and that it is well away from electrical interference.

Tried to unplug and replug the usb, did not help. Rebooted the machine and it started. Yes I am using a filtered wire. Windows just says that LOR is not responding !!

Usually, when LOR is not responding, it is because some other resource is not responding to it. Key resources include the USB RS-485 serial port, for which I have seen a few cases of this locking things up this year. Other things include Windows Media Player. Do you have any other software that uses Windows Media Player running, like light show primer?

If you have the status window up, when the show is running, and things lock, can you see any error messages in the status window?

Which version of LOR are you running?

Usually, when LOR is not responding, it is because some other resource is not responding to it. Key resources include the USB RS-485 serial port, for which I have seen a few cases of this locking things up this year. Other things include Windows Media Player. Do you have any other software that uses Windows Media Player running, like light show primer?

Nothing else running, its a brand new machine and the only software that I loaded on it is LOR

If you have the status window up, when the show is running, and things lock, can you see any error messages in the status window?

Status window the first night was blank, nothing at all in it the second night it looked like it stalled at the end of the last show

Which version of LOR are you running?

I could see the first night of things freezing up since the computer and the controlers all powered up at the same time and maybe some type of error happening. but the second night it just stalled. Rebooting was the only thing that got things going.

Also, thanks for the help. Just wish old reliable would become old reliable again.

Denise

Denise.

I deal with audio /visual electronics and sometimes when electronics equipment go through a power outages or brownouts and they dont get a stable reboot, things go crazy. some times just pulling the plug for a few minutes then plugging back in, things start working again. Did you try this with the controller yet? I know you did the reboot on the pc.

Also, during the same scenerio files can get corupted when going through a unstable reboot. if the above did not fix perhaps reload the firmware.

I am asuming that you are able to communicate with the controller so you can reload the firmware.

I am certainly not a genious with LOR but the above trick have worked for me in other electronic control systems.

Hopefully LOR Dan one of the other gurus here might see this thread and give a better solution or might have run nto this problem.

more then likely this has already been discussed here but there are so many threads here it almost gets hard to find info sometimes.

a compiled FAQ thing would be cool. but i would hate to be the guy to take on such a task.

Good luck and I hope ole reliable moves back in too!

Thanks Doug,

I have not unpluged all the controllers yet since they presently are covered by about 24" of snow. I will try to unplug the ones that I can and see if that helps, in fact I will take the entire data network, from pc, to usb to all the controllers to a totally unpowered stated, wait a few min and then repower up. Will post result tomorrow.

Denise