Light-O-Rama Forums

Tracks

cenote

Donny M. Carter wrote:

George can you please expand on dividing the beats to fit your poles and arches.

I'm no George, but this is how I do it:

Find the timing marks (beat) where you want the arches to start and stop.

I then DELETE any timing marks in between those two, THEN subdivide between your two marks by the number of sections in your arch...for me it is nine.

You now have 9 equal marks that should coincide with the "beat"...

But I bet Georges' way is better!! Which I am going to try on the next song I sequence. :?

And a PS to my post above:

Hopefully then all your "beats" are the same and then you can just copy and paste any other "arch event" that you want to look like that without worrying about the timing marks...

Just be sure to change you Paste Mode to Paste By Time and not Paste by Cell

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

And a PS to my post above:

Hopefully then all your "beats" are the same and then you can just copy and paste any other "arch event" that you want to look like that without worrying about the timing marks...

Just be sure to change you Paste Mode to Paste By Time and not Paste by Cell

This is a good thread I have been doing what George is doing since I started with the beat wizzard makes sequencing easier I really like your idea Jim with the arches kind of takes the guess work out of all this timing thing I haven't used the tracks before but I am leaning towards them as my channel count grows went from 32 in 09 to 64 in 2010 didn't use all of my controllers last year but will be 112 to 160 channels in 2011 so I can see this as a definite help

jimswinder wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
George can you please expand on dividing the beats to fit your poles and arches.

I then DELETE any timing marks in between those two, THEN subdivide between your two marks by the number of sections in your arch...for me it is nine.

But I bet Georges' way is better!! Which I am going to try on the next song I sequence.  :?

JIM, I'm trying to get this right and must be missing something.
1. set beats in beat wizard
2. figure out at what point I want arches
3. remove the timing between those two points(how do I do that?)
4. divide that by number of sections in my arches(7)

Thanks for the help.

Donny M. Carter wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Donny M. Carter wrote:

But I bet Georges' way is better!! Which I am going to try on the next song I sequence. :?

JIM, I'm trying to get this right and must be missing something.
1. set beats in beat wizard
2. figure out at what point I want arches
3. remove the timing between those two points(how do I do that?)
4. divide that by number of sections in my arches(7)

Thanks for the help.

sent you a pm

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Keep in mind that the way I do things dates back to the first version of S2, long before multiple timing grids were invented. The reason I created my track structure the way I did was mainly because of timing issues with items like arches and poles and spinners and driveway trees all having a different number of seqments. Since the first year I've added items into some tracks (like more poles and arches) and created new tracks for new display elements. I've posted my reasons elsewhere but I don't use a master track. All my channels appear only once.

Before multiple timing grids what I'd do was run the Beat Wizard in each individual track when I first began sequencing that track and would have it place timing marks at each beat. I always did it the same in every track to insure that all the timing marks would all line up from one track to another. We'll use arches as an example. They're seven segments. Depending on the tempo of the music or what I'm using the arch for I might want the arch to travel side to side in one beat. In that case I'd divide the beat by 7 If I wanted it to travel about the same speed but turn off briefly at each end, I'd divide the beat by 8 and then leave the last subdivision of the beat blank. If I wanted it to move at half that speed I'd divide the beat by 4 and again leave the last subdivision blank. Maybe I'd use two or three or four different speeds at different times in the same song. Unlike using timing grids, if you run the Beat Wizard individually for each track you can do that sort of thing without affecting any other track.