Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights- How many? and Where?

lilouisianagal

I am starting on amassing lights for next year. We have a few icicle lights, but other than that we are starting from scratch. We have a 16 channel controller on the way. How many lights should I get to work with? Who are good vendors? We know we want to use warm white lights (not the super bright/almost blue white, more the traditional color) and blue.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read up on LED vs incandescent though I get the feeling there are some debates over it. Am I correct on the assumption that LED uses less power, while incandescent gives you the traditional color (generally with less "twinkling" than LED)?

Where do you get your lights? Do you get the type of lights that you can get at the store (with plugs at both ends) and plug them together, or do I need to learn how to put them together without plugs?

Thanks!

That is a well thought out post and question.

I will be going to LED for th first time next year. I suggest you start out by reading this topic: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/25285.html

And look at some of the videos posted in the thread.

Other than that, I suggest you keep reading and see what others are saying. That is what I am doing for the next two weeks.

lilouisianagal wrote:

I am starting on amassing lights for next year. We have a few icicle lights, but other than that we are starting from scratch. We have a 16 channel controller on the way. How many lights should I get to work with? First you should plan how your display will look, including light locations and how many of what kind of light will be on each channel. Who are good vendors? CDI is a reputable vendor - look for the group buy in process now. See http://www.creativedisplays.com. We know we want to use warm white lights (not the super bright/almost blue white, more the traditional color) and blue.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read up on LED vs incandescent though I get the feeling there are some debates over it. Personal preference plays a big part. Price does also. And durability. I am wrestling with the durability and price parts right now, myself. Am I correct on the assumption that LED uses less power, while incandescent gives you the traditional color (generally with less "twinkling" than LED)? Yes, LEDs use much less power. The colors of LEDs are generally much deeper/stronger, and they last much longer (especially the blues). The "twinkling that you mention is PROBABLY an artifact of half wave LEDs vs full wave. Full wave LEDs are rectified, and so use both phases of the alternating current. So instead of lighting up 30 times a second like the half waves, full waves light up 60 times a second. This makes the full wave LEDs appear to stay on solidly, while the half waves seem to flicker.

Where do you get your lights? See above. CDI is a reputable supplier. Do you get the type of lights that you can get at the store (with plugs at both ends) and plug them together, or do I need to learn how to put them together without plugs? Check the CDI web site for a list of the available types of LEDs.

Thanks!

Hope that helps.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

lilouisianagal wrote:
I am starting on amassing lights for next year. We have a few icicle lights, but other than that we are starting from scratch. We have a 16 channel controller on the way. How many lights should I get to work with? First you should plan how your displa will look, including light locations and how many of what kind of light will be on each channel. Who are good vendors? CDI is a reputable vendor - look for the group buy in process now. See http://www.creativedisplays.com We know we want to use warm white lights (not the super bright/almost blue white, more the traditional color) and blue.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read up on LED vs incandescent though I get the feeling there are some debates over it. Personal preference plays a big part. Price does also. And durability. I am wrestling with the durability and price pats right now, myself. Am I correct on the assumption that LED uses less power, while incandescent gives you the traditional color (generally with less "twinkling" than LED)? Yes, LEDs use much less power. The colors of LEDs are generally much deeper/stronger, and they last much longer (especially the blues). The "twinkling that you mention is PROBABLY an artifact of half wave LEDs vs full wave. Full wave LEDs are rectified, and so use both phases of the alternating current. So instead of lighting up 30 times a second like the half waves, full waves light up 60 times a second. This makes the full wave LEDs appear to stay on solidly, while the half waves seem to flicker.

Where do you get your lights? See above. CDI is a reputable supplier. Do you get the type of lights that you can get at the store (with plugs at both ends) and plug them together, or do I need to learn how to put them together without plugs? Check the CDI web site for a list of the available types of LEDs.

Thanks!

Hope that helps.

D.T.

Actually, with LEDs and fullwave, they are constant on, so they don't just light up 60 times per second.

garyfunk wrote:

Actually, with LEDs and fullwave, they are constant on, so they don't just light up 60 times per second.

I stand corrected.

D.T.

lilouisianagal wrote:

Where do you get your lights?

As mentioned earlier, QUALITY LED lights come from vendors such as Creative Displays ( CDI) .

They are full wave rectified (no flicker), sealed (no rust). The warm whites do not have the blueish look to them.

I have over 40,000 LEDs (over 700 strings). I buy from CDI and have since 2007. Only had one sting fail in the field, and it was on its 3rd year.

I like the durability of the LEDs, take them out of storage, put them up, and they work! No need to spend hours trouble shooting like you have to do with incadescent strings finding and replaceing burnt out bulbs, broken bulbs or even more time consuming to find, a loose bulb. This alone is worth the difference in price to me.

CDI has their annual presale starting today. The link to them was in an earlier post in this thread.

Chris D. Brooks wrote:

JBullard,

I just got a catalog from "Holiday Catalog" - Birddog Distributing, Inc. Is this a good source?

I am not familiar with them.

I do know the quality of the lights and service from CDI and have been very happy with them.

Each year I buy a few strings from other sources, and end up throwing them in the trash, because they do not come close to the quality of the strings from CDI.

I have purchased a couple of things from Birddog and had no problems with them.

But I also now purchase all my LEDs from CDI during the spring presale. You will save a lot of money doing it that way and Paul is great to work with and will help you in any way he can.

I have bought LEDs from several different places but CDI will still beat the prices of almost all of them during the spring sale and I know that I am getting a quality product since I only use the Holiday Creation brand of LEDs for my display as I have found them to work and last the best so far.

Hope that helps.

Bill

lilouisianagal wrote:

I am starting on amassing lights for next year. We have a few icicle lights, but other than that we are starting from scratch. We have a 16 channel controller on the way. How many lights should I get to work with? Who are good vendors? We know we want to use warm white lights (not the super bright/almost blue white, more the traditional color) and blue.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read up on LED vs incandescent though I get the feeling there are some debates over it. Am I correct on the assumption that LED uses less power, while incandescent gives you the traditional color (generally with less "twinkling" than LED)?

Where do you get your lights? Do you get the type of lights that you can get at the store (with plugs at both ends) and plug them together, or do I need to learn how to put them together without plugs?

Thanks!

for LEDs ?may be here is a rights choice ;www.lightingever.com
it's a led lights online retailer ,wish you will find what you need !
good luck

I will be getting my lights from Magic in the Sky Lighting this year. Have never ordered from them before, but have spoken to the owner.

I can not recommend any other vendor that has been mentioned here so far.

I have also thrown LED lights in the trash. :X