Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and Renard SS24's

Omer

Is anyone using LOR to run Renard Boards? I own the advanced software and 2 Pro series 16 channel controllers. Can I use LOR to run Rendard boards. I already know LOR and not familiar with Vixen. I think the answer has something to do with DMX controllers.

If you want to run Renard controllers with LOR, you will need to get an iDMX from LOR. It converts the LOR protocall into DMX protocal. You will need to get an adapter so you can go from the XLM to Cat5, and then got to your controller. Your Renard controller will need to be reflashed with DMX protocal also. I have never ran my Renard controllers in DMX, so I don't know how well they work. If you have more questions, PM, I can give you some answers and tell you how I run my show.

Today, the iDMX is the official answer. Dan has indicated that a new version to be released in 2011 will support USB DMX dongles, to provide lower cost DMX support, though likely with a greater load on the host CPU..

So, with the iDMX, the biggest limit is the 128 intelligent channel limit.. You can only have effects more complicated than on/off on 128 channels at once in the DMX universe.

With the USB dongle approach, the question is when will the software be released? And what limitations might it bring?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok soon I will have 7 ss24 regards in addition to my 2 16 channel LOR boards, my question is, does the idmx currently support 200 channels and if so when I reflash my pc chips to the dmx software will both renard and lor work together inline utilizing cat 5 cabling. My concern is the pin placements on the renard boards being different than that on the lor. I have run my show for 2 years now utilizing show time and 2 lor controllers and don't neccasarily want to learn another program (vixen) plus I still want to use my lor controllers. I will be going from approx 17,000 lights to nearly 250,000 next year.

One thing to consider is simply getting a dmx adapter and running a second network. two usb 485's two cables leading from a pc and you can run both side by side without a larger investment into a idmx. One running lor protocol another setup to run dmx. Not to dump on lor for it but since they released v3 software supporting dmx native has been a huge boost and myself will be looking into some renard boards for this coming year. Option 2 lor boards support dmx, switch your network to sending out dmx commands only and ditch the lor protocol but beware of the 512 limit. 512 Channels per dmx universe so if you have over 344 lor channels you will have to have two universes of dmx one side note though shimmer looks like crap with dmx being sent from the computer.