Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR in Christmas Parade

MrLights

Looking at entering my company in the Christmas parade next year and getting started on design, and set up.

Have any of you done a LOR show on a float and your truck before? Also have any of you temporally secured lights to your truck? I have some ideas on doing it, but I wanted to see if any one has done this and if they had any problems they could give me a heads up on that I may run into.

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be great.

Test things exactly how you will power them. Some generators and some inverters don't play well with LOR.. You don't want to find that out on your first live run hours before the parade.... Usually on/off is fine, but fades can become a problem...

Yes except it would be my 2005 F-350 4x4 pulling a 16’ flat trailer built up as a float.
I am thinking of building a small platform deck on the bed of my truck and building a 6’ or 7’ mega tree on that, the trailer would have a deck, not sure about the layout just yet but I do know there will be 2 custom built chairs for Mr. & Mrs. Santa to sit in while throwing out candy canes to the kids.

But I also want to string lights on the truck as well.

I love hot glue for mounting lights, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to try it on my truck... If one were to try, you would want to have the truck well washed, so that there was not grit to get in the glue, and mess things up when you pop it off later... And, if you have any defects in your paint, this will find them..

So no, I can't recommend it, but it might be what I would personally try.. I think I would rather pop off hot glue, than try to clean up whatever adhesive residue was left behind...

Though gaffer's tape might be best for leaving minimal residue behind, the stuff is expensive.. ($20-$30 per roll) And if you follow the hood line, you could tape things to the inside of the engine bay, with tails going out with the lights attached. No adhesive on the outside.

That’s a very good idea.;)
I was also thinking of trying out these plastic clips I have, but I would need more of them and haven’t seen them in the store lately. They are clear plastic that hold a mini light and have a peace of double back tape on them. I was going to stick one to the truck and see how it holds up and what it does, stick it in inconspicuous spot incase it wants to mess up the finish coming off.

PT 2x4's run across the bed in front of the toolbox to prevent sliding backward, and on the bed cover, with two small pieces downward to prevent side to side movement. Used arch type corner bead to mount the lights on. The dang thing don't move around at 60 MPH (for testing only). Just couldn't figure out how to mount antlers on the front of the truck :(