Light-O-Rama Forums

FRUSTRATED

Talons

Jeff Millard wrote:

This is a personal note to all the new people who join this forum, and stumble across this argument... GFCI has protected at least 4 people that chose to make unauthorized adjustments to my display over the years. While I'm not happy that the adjustments were made, and the culprits got away without being apprehended (or electrocuted) I'm very happy that some injury Lawyer hasn't brought suit against me for intentionally booby trapping my display to kill or maim his client (who was, in fact, the person making the unauthorized adjustments to my display)

The Google argument is plain rhetoric. A majority of intelligently functioning decorators use the proper safety devices to protect against a deadly, invisible killer. Which in turn, reduces the odds that there could be a laundry list of dead children to Google search related to this topic. However, it's typical to use the Internet to support a lack of facts. The "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true" or, "Do a Google search, there isn't anything there on the subject so it must not exist!"
Yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn!

Some people are risk takers by nature. They are, in fact, a small portion of our society. Google it! ;-) If you choose to avoid the threat of the danger that exists, you are by definition a risk taker. And, because Google tells me that risk takers are a small portion of society (Anything Google points me to must be fact, right?!?) those of you who choose to electrocute the people who come to see your display are just a minor issue in this little thing we do.

So, to sum this up... Please do the right thing and don't take risks. However, if you do take risks... Good for you. When you die I'll come to your funeral. (not for the reasons you think...) When you kill someone because you did something stupid, I'll also come to your court hearings... along with the laundry list of arguments you made to the public telling them electrical safety is foolishness, and only for beginners and laymen.

The good thing about this thread is it exposes foolishness for what it is. Most, if not all, who choose to join in this fun hobby, will look at people like Jim and George (and me) and do the right thing. They'll come here and ask why, when they taped the connections and then laid them in muck, the GFCI is tripping. And a safe thinking person will tell them what they are doing wrong. And an unsafe person will tell them to leave the connections alone and remove the one safety device that will prevent them from killing themselves or someone else. And, rather than take a loaded gun and put it to their head, and pull the trigger at the advise of a risk taker... they will do the right thing and follow the advise of those who care about other people, rather than their own desire to take risks to find some type of twisted excitement in life. I read on Google that risk taking is like a drug... first you take risks... than you drag others down into your little pit of risk taking addiction...

Sad...

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Jeff

Then there are the middle ground guys who take calculated risks and appropriate precautions... But i wouldn't expect you to understand that... you're way too busy riding your rigid high horse...

I was just trying to help Talons put his light show up... I'm glad he got additional answers from other intelligent people on the thread who actually cared to look at what the thread was about, put their ego aside and gave some good alternatives to my suggestions... I happen to consider Talons an intelligent person who knows what the inherent risks are and i'm sure will take the appropriate precautions...

But you hijack this thread to plug your business and rant about google, drugs, funerals, gunshots to the head? Who does that? I'll come to your funeral? Who are you?

Who ever heard of people walking up to your display and putting their fingers in the plugs while walking completely barefoot on a damp grass-bed? Who gets electrocuted from touching a mini incandescent lightbulb? Maybe on the Jersey Shore, not by my nec of the woods.

Do you actually have something valuable to suggest to Talons' problem, if not... i suggest you stop taking up space.

Jeff Millard wrote:

iccarakid wrote:
kingsislandtechservices wrote:
Not true, A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral, If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. Current is different than amperage, a line itself does not have any amperage whatsoever. you have to have something on that line to create amperage.

Thanks for the tip Jeff - but you might consider putting a GFCI on your train of thought, we wouldn't want you short your neurons.

Thanks for the tip Newbie... but you've crossed your posts and referred to the wrong person's post when posting a personal attack on my knowledge and understanding of Ohm's Law. It's not real friendly to attack someone (who has over thirty year's of experience in the field) in your second post.

Do me a personal favor... Keep your overbearing Planet Christmas like attitude and behavior on Planet Christmas. It's not well recieved here.

Jeff

I think you need to adjust your point of view and your professionalism...

if anyone got out of line it was you with the ranting on about all the death and so on... so you have thirty years of experience in the field and all you can do is talk about google and funerals...

you want to shut me up, give some Talons and answer.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is the second GFCI thread that gone very much off course.

Everyone has stated their position on the GFCI situation.

If you have a solution for Talon, please contact him via Private Message.

Thank you.