Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Form Factor Consensus

DownTown

Hey guys... is there a general consensus on what looks better in the LED world? I'm looking at the CDI stuff, but don't know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to any of the form factors. What is everyone else using? Is one brighter than the others? Is the bigger C6 more visible than the others? give the the scoop, the whole scoop and nothing but the scoop.

Thanks.

D.T.

It really depends on the look you are going for..

Usually, the C6, M5/M6, and 5mm concave are all using the exact same LEDs, and have the exact same total light output...

So the 5mm concave comes closest to being a point source..

The M5/M6 spreads the light out a bit more, and covers a bit wider dispersion angle. The C6 spreads the light out the most, and gives the widest total dispersion angle, as it is too big to hide behind its base..

I wrapped 5 arches in 5mm concave this year, and really like the look. The only arches I have seen that looked better were done in G12, which is hard to find in commercial grade.

For our ongoing LED upgrades on the city show, the current selections are:

Tree trunks: 5mm concave
Tree tops: C7 (minleon dimable)
Lawn fan: (C6 - already converted, and looks great!)
Mini trees: 5mm concave
Arches: 5mm concave, looks great!!
Vertical colums: 5mm concave
3D wire frame trees: (12 foot tall, 6 foot dia) will be C6.

So much of it is personal preference.. And remembering that what you care about is usually what it looks like from the street, or across the street, not up close and personal.

Here's an example of how I used different types of LED lights:

Windows - wanted them to look like the lights at the movie theatre - used 5 mm concave. They are really bright, but unforgiving. You have one out of line and it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Siding - C6

Roof lights - C9

Attached files 230527=12649-LED Example.jpg

Here's an example of why I say the 5 mm concave are "unforgiving". Notice how some of the bulbs are brigther than others. At least three of them stick out really bad.

This was our first attempt at making a 5 point star. It took us a few attempts to figure out where to cut the grooves and drill the holes. As you can see, we didn't have everything lined up correctly and all holes were not the correct size. If we would have used a different type of bulb, our mistakes wouldn't have been so noticeable.

Attached files 230529=12651-5 mm concave.png

Linda McDonald wrote:

Here's an example of why I say the 5 mm concave are "unforgiving". Notice how some of the bulbs are brigther than others. At least three of them stick out really bad.

I've got to chuckle here Linda. I thought only my wife would notice that one bulb was not perfect, I'm glad to know that there's actually 2 people in this world now :) Too funny

I think this is totally personal preference - it's like asking if incandescent mini's are bettor or worse than C7's or C9's.

I prefer the M5/M6's since they look the most traditional to me, but the C6's are very nice as well. 5mm's are my last choice but still quite nice.

-Tim

Thanks to all who have replied. I have never had the opportunity to compare and contrast LEDs side by side, so I wanted to use your experiences to help me form an opinion.

As long as their durability is similar, then personal preference on the appearance of the lamps is as good a reason as any to go with a particular form factor, as far as I'm concerned. I did see that 5mm seems to be the least expensive of the three, but if price were a primary consideration, I'd keep using the incandescents.

Thanks again all.

D.T.

The only true consensus is that there really is no true consensus!! LOL

I use all LEDs for my display with C6 for around my windows, doors, and deck as well as for my mega tree. I use G12's for my mini trees and C7 for my roof outline. Then I use M6 for my arches and bushes.

I'm not a fan of the 5mm since I tried some and didn't care for the "out of place" look of them if they were not in a true straight line either. They can be very useful in the right setting though.

It really is all a matter of what looks the best to you in the end as I am sure that there are folks on here who would say that my way is "off" in some way to them. But I like it and that is all that really matters in the end.

As for the brightness issue, there is a little bit of difference in the different styles and sizes but not so much as to make them stick out greatly. The difference between my C6 ones and the C7's that I use is minimal to me. The C7 is just a bigger bulb that shines a little more. The G12's seem to have a little more "sparkle" to them than the M6 bulbs but I believe that it is just because of the shape and location of the LED inside that makes it seem that way.

Go with your feelings on them as to what YOU think looks the best.

Grab a string or 2 of each style from some folks if they will let you borrow them and see how they look to you.

Bill