Light-O-Rama Forums

I just had to do it

Guest guest

Well, I guess I really need to get a signature now. The planning is still in process, and this weekend, we started some execution and putting up lights. OK to the point, LOR channels. This year I added a mega tree a few other items, and more important 32 channels of LOR. So my planning has been partially in spreadsheets, (thankfully provided by Quartz Hill) sticky notes all over the place, note book, MicroSoft One Note (highly recommended) and much less trivial, my noggin. Well last night I really sat down with spreadsheet and tried to figure out channel assignment since that was all in my head. Gotta start some sequences sometime, right? What did I discover, YIKES I blew way past 32 channels. :shock:

So the dilema, reduce animation, add amimation, kind of like the 2 angels on your shoulders, good :)/ bad:devil:, you get the picture. So what did I do, heck it's only money, right. Mary from LOR was only too glad to take my order for another 16 channels. Were lookin at 48 now and guess what, at this point there is one spare channel. We CAN NOT add any more!

Gosh, I feel like a junkie here,....... what's another 16 channels, oh, what's another box of lights (LEDs), another extention cord, more SPT wire, vampire plugs, ground stakes, power, PCV, rope light, FM transmitter,............... Man it's outta control, :waycool:

Oh, yeah, we are right there with you.

My husband, who at first thought I was nuts when I told him I spent 2k on LOR, plus extension cords, plus FM transmitters, plus plus plus....we got the whole thing up and running for Halloween and he turns to me and says, "Well, this is great, but we need at least 128 channels for Christmas"! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

bridegirl wrote:

Oh, yeah, we are right there with you.

My husband, who at first thought I was nuts when I told him I spent 2k on LOR, plus extension cords, plus FM transmitters, plus plus plus....we got the whole thing up and running for Halloween and he turns to me and says, "Well, this is great, but we need at least 128 channels for Christmas"! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That's great Susy.

Sounds like you converted him to the "light side of the force"!

Greg

zman wrote:

Gotta start some sequences sometime, right? What did I discover, YIKES I blew way past 32 channels. :shock:

This isn't directed at you, so don't think that it is.

However, I've always said you should have a solid plan on *what* you are going to animate before you order. Then, stick to it.

I've told my story before. I learned about LOR in 12/2004 and started planning right away. I looked at what I had on the house, and determined I would need X number of channels. It was a pleasant surprise when I learned I could afford more than that. So, I bought 80 channels the first year. I then made a plan for that.

Never did I have to go back and order more the first year. I had a solid plan going into the season and stuck with it. It saved me countless hours, frustration and cash.

My wife at first thought I was nuts with 64 channels. After showing what I so have programmed and set-up, Now she wants to know why I did not buy more channels. I think she got bit by the light bug this weekend!!!:waycool:

Don,

No offense taken. The expertise on this site is just incredible, and I am afraid to even calculate how many hours were spent in all the various sections. In my mind, I initially I thought 32 was sufficient. Then I started to add somethings this year, and wanted to manage some of last years items differently than first thought. But I agree, not that spending the money was frustrating, rather, planning and sticking to it is the main message. I am kind of like a pin ball machine. All over the place wanting to do a ton of things and I am now fully realizing (I knew before but was ignoring it mostly) that there is only so much you can do with your time. Right now I am being pulled in several ways, work, personal, kids, Christmas. You have got to set the priorities and execute the plan.

Don wrote:

zman wrote:
Gotta start some sequences sometime, right? What did I discover, YIKES I blew way past 32 channels. :shock:

This isn't directed at you, so don't think that it is.

However, I've always said you should have a solid plan on *what* you are going to animate before you order. Then, stick to it.

I've told my story before. I learned about LOR in 12/2004 and started planning right away. I looked at what I had on the house, and determined I would need X number of channels. It was a pleasant surprise when I learned I could afford more than that. So, I bought 80 channels the first year. I then made a plan for that.

Never did I have to go back and order more the first year. I had a solid plan going into the season and stuck with it. It saved me countless hours, frustration and cash.

I agree planning helps alot, I started planning for 32 channels last january, becuase that how much money I wanted to spend, now that I have laid everything out and have started sequencing i wish i could have had 33 or 34 but I have stuck to my 32 channels. Next year I will get some more But I have no clue how many yet, I am interested in thier modular 32 channel card they have planned but Haven't seen anything on it yet.

Anyway I have Planned, stuck with my plan, and am happy with the way things have gone so far.

I've just started but, my wife and I already have the bug. She already has many ideas buzzing around in her head for next Halloween and I'm ordering another 16 channels next year. Figured I would just keep adding 16 channels a year until I'm satisfied. I keep eyeing this big tree in our front yard thinking it really deserves some light...

Keep up the good work all. I'm addicted to LOR, Halloween, Christmas, and this Site....

robogeek wrote:

I agree planning helps alot, I started planning for 32 channels last january, becuase that how much money I wanted to spend, now that I have laid everything out and have started sequencing i wish i could have had 33 or 34 but I have stuck to my 32 channels. Next year I will get some more But I have no clue how many yet, I am interested in thier modular 32 channel card they have planned but Haven't seen anything on it yet.

Anyway I have Planned, stuck with my plan, and am happy with the way things have gone so far.

Same here, I started planning for 32 channels because that's what I wanted to spend the first year. I wish I had 34 or 35, but have keept my planning to 32. Well, with my Halloween experience, I have decided to add some buffer room to cover those last minute "oops" or "I wish" items and ordered another 16 channels today.

My one concern is I feel like the more channels I add, the harder the sequencing becomes.