Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree planning

papap

Ok I want a mega tree next year. Can I do 4 colors with a 16 channel controller and get it to look good? I search on here but did not find anything.

papap wrote:

Ok I want a mega tree next year. Can I do 4 colors with a 16 channel controller and get it to look good?

You might be able to with some darn creative sequencing. But I think it's going to be very challenging to get smooth motion when you'll basically be lighting a fourth of the tree with each step. Bottom line is that it's your display and you should do what you want. Assemble your components and give it a try after the ground thaws so you can see how it looks.

papap wrote:

How many channels do most people use on their trees?

This year for my 10' tree I used 22 channels 16 for white 2 for red 2 for green and 2 for blue. I just split the rgb channels into half tree sections so I could have half one color and the other half another color and still have full control over white.

papap wrote:

I have a 20 foot mega tree with 3 colors.I have 24 strands of blue with 24 channels,24 strands of red with 24 channels,and 24 strands of green with only 12 channels on the green.Its been a crowd favorite this year.

Well. I guess this coming year. I'll do a 16 plus channel tree with just multi colored lights on it. then the next year add more to it.

papap wrote:

I don't know about "most" people, but I use 80 channels

I built a 14' high, 48ch super-string tree.. 16 braided strands of each, red, green & blue.. next year, I'll add white. ties up 3 controllers but the changing the color of the tree (I have the same on the house rooflines) and the house looks great.

On a 10' mega tree, How big does the diameter of the bottom ring need to be, to make it look right, it it goes all the way to the ground?

there are a couple formulas floating on a few threads here but.. my first MT last year was a 13' (11' above ground) 12-multi-strand tree, each 21' strand gave me 24 "legs" from top to bottom, I used two ten foot, 1/2" pvc pieces with 2 connectors for the hoop which came out to roughly 6' diameter for a 11' high center pipe. Extra length lights were wrapped around the hoop.

I used a little taller pipe this year.. abt 15' total (13' above ground), using three, ten foot, 1/2" pvc for the hoop, abt 11' diameter for sixteen strands, (32 legs). had I gone with a smaller hoop, yeah it would look a little fuller, but I would have had to go 17'-18' tall to bring the base in closer.

Both last year and this, the legs go to the ground. If you build a "trunk"... have the legs bend over the hoop and go to the center pipe then down, then you have to plan on the length from tip to hoop to trunk then down. With a 21' + string, figure 2' trunk height, 4'-5' trunk to hoop, then remaining 15' to the top., makes the center pipe at least 17' long (includes 2' in the ground). With the wind most people get, thats a lotta pipe to sway in the breeze, tho seems like most going that high, guy the pipe.

Short answer.. 10' high (above ground), abt 6'-7' diameter should look abt right. Put it up, run just a couple strings to the hoop, if it looks too squat, then trim abt 6" off the hoop legs, then check the strings again.

2 to 2 1'2" pvc center pipe, run at least an 8' piece of alum fence pipe inside for stability. (keeps it from bowing)