Light-O-Rama Forums

MP3 Director

Guest guest

Hi all!

Here in Houston the weather just turned "cold" which suddenly has me ultra-excited about the holidays!

I have a quick quick question for y'all about ways to use the MP3 Director (forgive me if this one's been discussed already... i've search the forum, but haven't seen it yet)

For my lights at home i have a dedicated computer that will take care of scheduling, no problem.

This year I'm doing a small 16 channel display for a friend's house and thought the MP3 Director would be good for running his show, since he does not have a computer to use for the display.

From what I can tell from reading, the Director does not have a show scheduler - it runs through the animations you load into it and repeats, which will work just fine, but my friend will want to run the show some nights while he's not home.

any creative ideas on how the MP3 Director can turn on and off by itself? (or can it do this already?)

Thank you for your help!

joules

A timer? A LOR controller connected to a computer? X-10? Trained Monkey? Friendly neighbor? OR one of those GE remote things at target (They work really good, I have a couple)

--Daniel L

P.S.- You asked for creative, (trained monkey)

I don't know if he's going to go for the monkey thing... he does have a couple of pomeranians, though! (but they're not very bright)

I thought about those security timers, but I guess i assumed they wouldn't be able to handle the load from the controller. i did a quick search on the internet and it appears they've gotten more advanced then the last time i looked. I'll check out the GE type... thanks!

joules

joules wrote:
I thought about those security timers, but I guess i assumed they wouldn't be able to handle the load from the controller.
joules

The timer does not need to handle the load of the controller only the power brick (12 volt transformer) is attached to the timer. This controls the on/off voltage to the MP3 player and possiblity your amp or FM station. The controller is a separte feen and is on all the time.

I picked up a GE photo cell / timer from Target for $14.99 (+ tax). Supposed to handle 20 AMPs.

What I like about this one is you can program the lights to come on automatically at night time and shut off at the same time each night, or have a different time for each day of the week.

So--the lights always come on round dusk, but Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs the lights go off at 10:30pm. Fri, Sat, and Sun the lights go off at 11:45pm.

Daniel wrote:

A timer? A LOR controller connected to a computer? X-10? Trained Monkey? Friendly neighbor? OR one of those GE remote things at target (They work really good, I have a couple)

--Daniel L

P.S.- You asked for creative, (trained monkey)

Oh I think you missed one. I vote for 'Mental Telepathy'

Or maybe you could use Hiro's bending space and time ability and just go ahead in time every time you want it to turn on and off and plug and unplug it. then just go back to about 30 seconds after you started and then you would get it done in 30 seconds.

Sorry, just finished watching Heroes for the night, Excellent show if you haven't watched it yet. You might want to watch it from the beginning though you'll miss stuff otherwize.

Robogeek