Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree base

Chick Kazienko

Chick Kazienko wrote:

How do you determine what is the best diameter of the base? What size gives you the best visual?

Depends if you want a FAT tree or a SKINNY tree...

Personally, I take half the height as my base...

12' tree...6' diameter base (which is a circumference of 18.8')

Also depends on how you "wrap" the tree...if you are doing a Weber tree and spiraling the strings around "guy wires", just be aware that it is nearly impossible to keep the guy wires completely taut (weight of the light strings makes them "cave in"), so you end up with a tree that concaves a bit...

If you are doing a Weber Type tree, here is a great calculator to do it:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/39539-[highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]Spiral[/highlight]-Tree-Calculating-Spreadsheet?highlight=excel

Chick Kazienko wrote:

my mind goes 100 mph.

that's good...because before too long your body will need to go about 200mph!!! lol

So I have been told, i have 3 lil boys i try to keep up with so 200 mph maybe be shifting down. But I am trying to prepare myself for next year so when I get 3 lil "helpers" I will know the safe direction to point them in.

I do appreciate all the help that is offered.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

But I am trying to prepare myself for next year so when I get 3 lil "helpers" I will know the safe direction to point them in.

I do appreciate all the help that is offered.

Don't wait till summer to start doing the sequences...start NOW!! LOL

You don't want to be doing anything AFTER Thanksgiving...that time should be for your family...and I don't mean the LOR family..as great as they are!!

EDIT:

Guess I contradicted myself there, huh... lol..okay start Jan 2!!!

I was going to wait til summer sale to get everything, but i downloaded the demo software today will that help me sequence? Can I input other sequences to play with in the demo mode? I am far from computer savy so i need all the time i can get.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I was going to wait til summer sale to get everything, but i downloaded the demo software today will that help me sequence? Can I input other sequences to play with in the demo mode? I am far from computer savy so i need all the time i can get.

IF you can, I'd get that 1st controller in the Jan/Feb sale and GET TO WORK! At that point you will be downloading the software as well. At least Basic Plus to start. I've got to upgrade that part now as I go from 48 to 96.

Oh yea, extention cords! Start throwing 1 or 2 in your buggy everytime you to shopping....

Chick Kazienko wrote:

Normally the software does not go on sale...so you might as well buy a full copy today and just get down to business...

What you will need to know though is how many channels you think you will be using...that will determine what level of a license to buy...

check this page out:

http://www.lightorama.com/ShowtimeSoftwareSuite.html

Bob Wingert wrote:

Oh yea, extention cords! Start throwing 1 or 2 in your buggy everytime you to shopping....

it's cheaper to use SPT-2 wire and vampire plugs...as I doubt you would really know at this time what lengths you really need...

Attached files 229833=12610-Vampire - full.jpg

I started out with this package from WOW lights. You get every thing you need to get started including the software, and it’s also a cheaper way to go getting a starter kit verses purchasing every thing individually.
http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=3&Product=47

Also my mega tree is 12’ tall to the mounting point of the lights, then a 2-foot tall star on top. The base is 5.5’ from center. I use the 25.8 foot 100 count light strands. I fold them in half multi color with a white and they are zip tied to make them on single strand of lights, I zip tie them at the top then down to a tent stake in the ground.

I use 2 measuring tapes when laying out the bottom. One is from the center pole for the 5.5 feet then each stake is 9” apart at the base.

Hope that helps some.

MrLights wrote:

I started out with this package from WOW lights. You get every thing you need to get started including the software, and it’s also a cheaper way to go getting a starter kit verses purchasing every thing individually.
http://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=3&Product=47

Also my mega tree is 12’ tall to the mounting point of the lights, then a 2-foot tall star on top. The base is 5.5’ from center. I use the 25.8 foot 100 count light strands. I fold them in half multi color with a white and they are zip tied to make them on single strand of lights, I zip tie them at the top then down to a tent stake in the ground.

I use 2 measuring tapes when laying out the bottom. One is from the center pole for the 5.5 feet then each stake is 9” apart at the base.

Hope that helps some.

I may be missing something, but the price from LOR looks to be the same, or maybe a few buck less? CTB-16PC complete 249.00, starter package 43.85,+ 13.00 for the 100ft cat5 cable. Is there something else you get that makes it cheaper at WoW lights?

Nope don’t think so, looks to be the same, that’s just were I got my stuff from and was pointing out that a starter package maybe cheaper than getting every thing one at a time. If there is some place cheaper I am all for it.