Light-O-Rama Forums

be careful watch you wish for

friskybri

Last year was the first year and I put out flyers in the neighborhood. People started to come, few cars here and there nothing big. The most I got was 3 cars close to Christmas. All the news stations heard about the display. News 25 came out did a story that aired dec 7th, 8th and 9th. They also put it on their facebook page. News 31 came out Dec 16th and did a live interview, weather for the 5pm, 6pm. Replaying the 10pm. Last night we had 10 cars at once was starting to get overwhelmed. we ran out of room at one point, started to use neighbors driveways after I asked. If it stays at last nights levels I think we can handle it but if it goes up it might become an issue. Last night was the first night that cars came 15 minutes before the show started at 5pm. Thinking what have I started. LOL. Next year I am going to cut down some trees for a bigger parking area.

When my display gets busy i have 10-11 cars out there at the same time.Last night i had an ambulance and a limo at the same time.5minutes after they left i had a city cop sit and watch for about 10 minutes.At the same time the limo was out there i had 6 kids come up and dance next to my arches.It was 5 degrees out at the time.It makes it all worth it seeing people enjoy your show.

I had to shorten my program to keep from overwhelming my block. Last year I had a 30 minute show and had issues with traffic control. This year I limited the show to 12 minutes and have not experienced the same problem.

BTW, I am in the City witch has no driveways and people have to park on the street. Last night at one point I counted 15 cars parked on the street.

Crazy....