Light-O-Rama Forums

What to do about special display requests?

chuckd

Apparently the PC guys are dying out a bit, so I'll check to see what you guys think. Have you ever had a special request for your display? I've had a few people ask if I could arrange a marriage proposal during the show, and others have asked to advertise.

Our display raises money for the Regional Food Bank, so advertising is definitely out (I wouldn't do it anyway). However, I always feel bad telling the marriage people no, mainly for fear of kicking off an onslaught of requests.

Surely some of you guys here have experienced this. What do you do/say, or if you haven't had it happen yet, how 'would' you respond?

Thanks,

Chuck

chuckd wrote:

Surely some of you guys here have experienced this. What do you do/say, or if you haven't had it happen yet, how 'would' you respond?

I would have to agree with you..do it for one, and then others wil want something.

Easier to say No to all then to start trying to decide who to say No to.

Unless of course you don't mind doing it for everyone.

I had someone ask me last week if I would consider setting up a commercial display for him at his business next year...thought about 1 second and said no...I barley have time enough to do my little residential display let alone a commercial one.

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

chuckd wrote:

I would have to agree with you..do it for one, and then others wil want something.

Easier to say No to all then to start trying to decide who to say No to.

Unless of course you don't mind doing it for everyone.

I had someone ask me last week if I would consider setting up a commercial display for him at his business next year...thought about 1 second and said no...I barley have time enough to do my little residential display let alone a commercial one.

Ya I think I am with you on this one, there is no telling where this might go I wouldn't want to turn my display into a free advertising site for anyone, I do Christmas lights so people can come to my house and forget about life for awhile, the way the world is going I really feel its nice for folks to forget about all of thier troubles even if it is for only a few minutes. so I vote no on this one

I'm also in the "no" camp for most special requests. I say 'most' because just this week I helped someone out who is doing a special sequence for a young girl who isn't going to live until next Christmas.

As for advertising, I make my own announcements and give my business a plug (because it buys the lights, controllers, and website) as well as my matching funds sponsors. But accepting paid advertising opens up a whole can of Pandora's wormy boxes that I don't even want to think about.

I think we all agree about the adverising here, I probably should have restricted it to the non-monetary request categories, like proposals, birthdays, etc.

I'm certain if somebody came to me who had a son/daughter that didn't have long to live, and had a special sequence request, I'd kill myself to get it done as fast as I could.

I did feel a bit guilty for turning down the marriage proposal request, but they came by at 5:30 and wanted it by 8:30 that night!

chuckd wrote:

I'm certain if somebody came to me who had a son/daughter that didn't have long to live, and had a special sequence request, I'd kill myself to get it done as fast as I could.

it wasn't a special request...but I changed where all my donations I received this weekend went to...

but I think several have done that when special needs arise during the season...

I remember someone posting last year (or heck it could have been the year before) that they helped with a marriage proposal.

They did not do a special sequence/song or even an announcement in their show. The person was using RDS in their display and set the RDS up to run the words on RDS capable radios. It was up to the guy that wanted to propose to make sure his girl was actually looking at and reading the radio.

I would probably do something like that, but would never advertise for anyone paid of not, and special sequences would be out of the question also.

Unless of course its as special as the "not long to live" request as posted about here.

I received a note asking if I would move my display to a persons house who just lost their child for free. They said their house would be great for exposure and for their child in heaven to see the lights on their house. I drove by their house and it's tiny, has NO exposure, and their yard is none. I politely declined. Why would I take my hard work down, move it and set it backup at their house? This is my hard work for my house.

I never have a problem helping someone do a display, but to ask something like this is crazy. Do it for one person and more will come out of the woodwork.

Bret LeFevre wrote:

I received a note asking if I would move my display to a persons house who just lost their child for free. They said their house would be great for exposure and for their child in heaven to see the lights on their house. I drove by their house and it's tiny, has NO exposure, and their yard is none. I politely declined. Why would I take my hard work down, move it and set it backup at their house? This is my hard work for my house.

I never have a problem helping someone do a display, but to ask something like this is crazy. Do it for one person and more will come out of the woodwork.

tell them for their child to visit your house...

as she is in heaven she can get directions to it from God...