Jump to content

Mixing in Static


Recommended Posts

Does any one mix in a few static things in their display? I had 6 yard decorations and a few boxes of lights left so I put the yard decorations in an empty spot to fill it in. I also put the lights around the two front windows and door. I didn't have enough circuits left on the controllers and they are at the max I wish to run so I went static. Will know tonight how it looks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terry Hurrle wrote:

Does any one mix in a few static things in their display? I had 6 yard decorations and a few boxes of lights left so I put the yard decorations in an empty spot to fill it in. I also put the lights around the two front windows and door. I didn't have enough circuits left on the controllers and they are at the max I wish to run so I went static. Will know tonight how it looks.

I had a friend comment that my display had too many "dark spots"...in between beats where I have no lights on...so was actually thinking of having some of my display "static" during certain songs...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did not jump on the band wagon all the way and simply do a musical show, I also have lawn decorations. Some things ought to be kept tradition.

Since 98% of the folks have most everything flashing I kept my house lights static.......it kinda acts as a back drop and set the display in a more Christmasy feel.

I emailed a fellow earlier in the year & I asked him why he did it that way (leaving the house lights static) and he choose to do it that way for the same reason I did.

Nevertheless that is how I like to do things & is simply my way of thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jimswinder wrote:

I had a friend comment that my display had too many "dark spots"...in between beats where I have no lights on...


Excuse me, but how can you sequence over 500 channels in one yard and still have too many dark spots?


Terry - In answer to your question - I don't use static elements in that there's something that's always on. But I use red and green as kind of a semi-static stabilizing factor to offset all the activity and foolishness going on in other places in the yard.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

George Simmons wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
I had a friend comment that my display had too many "dark spots"...in between beats where I have no lights on...

Excuse me, but how can you sequence over 500 channels in one yard and still have too many dark spots?

Plus his display is compact.

At least I feel better about having a small yard in which to work with.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose it depends on the effect you are trying to create. Having hard wired static items could defeat a total darkness effect. For example, there is a pause in the beat, then a crashing ending? Or the beat picks back up. I personally want all the lights to go off for that second and then have the majority to flash back on for the crashing ending or what is needed once the beat starts again.

Now I can see and understand the use of static lighting during some shows or to fill that dark spot in the yard or running out of channels. But to my thinking, I would put that group of items on at least one channel so I can still control them to an extent. Also I would not have to buy some crappy timer.

Just my point of view, not necessary that of the majority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have an extra channel however a triac blew on one of my controllers the first day of set up. Don't know why they blow but I had to rob the only channel I had to replace it. Due to the nature of my display I don't have a way to put the static on one channel. Next year the show will totally change. Being the first year this was a learning experience and have noted the things that need changed. These forums have been and will continue to be a big help.
Terry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...