Light-O-Rama Forums

Talking Heads or Mega Tree

PerryH

Next year I plan on adding a 2nd controler which will give me 9 free channels. I had originally planned on using 6 of those channels for a "Snow Miser" & "Heat Miser" talking head. Then I thought MEGA TREE. I would like your thoughts on if 9 channels are enough to do a mega tree justice. Or, should I just go with the talking heads that would only be lit during 1 song.

PerryH wrote:

Next year I plan on adding a 2nd controler which will give me 9 free channels. I had originally planned on using 6 of those channels for a "Snow Miser" & "Heat Miser" talking head. Then I thought MEGA TREE. I would like your thoughts on if 9 channels are enough to do a mega tree justice. Or, should I just go with the talking heads that would only be lit during 1 song.

when in doubt, buy more channels... :D

Personally, I don't think 9 channels is enough versatility for a Mega Tree...

Mine has 40 and sometimes I wish it had more when I see what others do with their Mega Tree

Like everything else though, it just depends on what YOU want it to do.

I am making a talking tree.

It will take a minimum of 8 channels, but 12 would be better. The added channels are for better mouth movement.

Consider making half of a mega tree with 8 channels and mount it against your house. Use the 9th channel for the star on top. Use lots of lights. You'll like the result. Of course the following year you'll want to double it!

I'm looking to make a talking face.. possibly 2. And I plan to use them for multiple songs... depending on how it all turns out.

If anyone gets a head start... I'd love to see the different facial expressions/shapes you guys come up with. All I've seen around are fang bearing pumpkin and skull faces, lol.

ace_master wrote:

I'm looking to make a talking face.. possibly 2. And I plan to use them for multiple songs... depending on how it all turns out.

If anyone gets a head start... I'd love to see the different facial expressions/shapes you guys come up with. All I've seen around are fang bearing pumpkin and skull faces, lol.

check out George Simmons house face..one of the best I think...

http://www.clearwaterlights.org/

Thanks for the plug, Jim.

Perry - You'll get a lot more use from the mega tree. I don't know the minimum number of channels to do a good face - it depends on what you want to do. Mine is 23 channels and I'm planning to add more this summer. I like Pat's advice for the mega tree - do it flat at first - you can always add more channels. I did mine flat the first year because it was easy to secure it to the fence where I wanted to put it, and it filled more side-to-side space in the yard doing it flat. It's in the neighbors yard now, and it's still flat and still the same size as it was the first year.

I agree; George's is the best I've seen.

I spent quite a bit of time this summer trying to come up with the "right" design to add a face to my display, but ultimately had to postpone it until next year. It's not as easy as it would appear to get expressions that are endearing and emotional.

Of course, that huge wall and gable roof give George an ideal canvas.

That is a very impressive face.. pretty awesome display altogether I must say!

As for the mega tree... I would do as pdowns suggested and go with the 8 for a mega tree, followed by a star on top. To make it look a little smoother, I would also opt for the half tree (against wall or fence?). You also have the option to do a spiral tree. But a spiral might look odd if you tried to only do a 1/2 tree.

I am doing a mega-spiral hybrid tree next year for the first time... but mine will be a full circle, and I'm throwing about 50 channels on it.