Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Standalone question

Guest guest

If I have 3 boxes daisy chained and a fuse blows in the 2nd box, is the 3rd still supposed to work? Will the HWU still find all three boards even if there is a blown fuse?

My problem is that I see all three boards, but the lights on the 2nd board are not working.

MichaelC wrote:

My problem is that I see all three boards, but the lights on the 2nd board are not working.

Assuming we are talking about a CTB16D, I think it depends on which fuse blew (left or right). One protects just one set of channels while the other protects the other set of channels plus the board. It sounds like you blew the "light only" side. So what you are seeing is resonable. Once you replace that fuse, it should work fine.

MichaelC wrote:

If I have 3 boxes daisy chained and a fuse blows in the 2nd box, is the 3rd still supposed to work? Will the HWU still find all three boards even if there is a blown fuse?

There is one way to find out for sure... take both fuses out of the second controller ... then run the program.

I want to say that somehow the information can get through even with the blown fuses. I know I had a fuse blow on my first controller (channels 9-16) last year, and the rest of the show ran fine. When 9-16 went, the entire controller went, as that's the side that the controller processor runs off of.

MichaelC wrote:

The 2nd board is an 8 channel, First board=8, 2nd board = 8, 3rd board=16. Sixteen seems to be working fine.

Then I think we have an answer. The communication will still pass through with a blown fuse.

Here's the kicker...... The fuse is not blown.

I connected my computer directly to this board with the 3rd chain still plugged in. (remeber the one giving me trouble is 2 out of 3). The HWU sees the board and the last one in the chain. Last one works fine. I put a meter across all the output terminals and I'm getting no voltage across ANY of the outputs of board 2. No blown fuse....

Any ideas?

MichaelC wrote:

Here's the kicker...... The fuse is not blown.

I connected my computer directly to this board with the 3rd chain still plugged in. (remeber the one giving me trouble is 2 out of 3). The HWU sees the board and the last one in the chain. Last one works fine. I put a meter across all the output terminals and I'm getting no voltage across ANY of the outputs of board 2. No blown fuse....

Any ideas?

Nope. This is beyond my scope of knowledge. Might want to ask Dan.

Michael, cycle your #2 board--disconnect both Cat5s,and 120 volt line, turn dip switches to zero. plug in for 10 second (led flashes rapidly), reset to original configuration and test. I find that these boards seem to enter into the mysterious realm of virtual sequencing ie that will acquire what they perceive as a downloaded sequence and not respond to computer input.

bill:

Thanks, I tried that and it didn't help. I kicked a note off to Dan. Funny when I was doing the "00" reboot, it would flash a pattern 3 very fast, followed by 1 slightly slower.

I also notice when I connect it back to the configuration, the 2nd board is steady, than blinks. It seems erradic. I changed cables and it still does the same thing. Very interesting.

So I went back to basics and found my problem. I had plugged the 2nd unit into a screw in socket on an outdoor fixture. It was X10 controlled, but what I realized is that it may not have been at full power (probably dimmed a bit)

As soon as I plugged it into a normal outlet, and performed the "00" reset, all is working fine.

I'll add this to the "thinks to remember" next year.