Light-O-Rama Forums

Nebie and LCD lights

Chick Kazienko

Planning to start in 2011 and have decided to go LED. But dont know which bulb selections are best. I can figure out minis but nedd help with what buld to use on Mini? C5? C7? C9? advantages and disadvantges.

Roof Pitches and Window outlines

Thanks

It's all about personal preference...and the wallet!! LOL

Guess it really depends on how far away from the lights you will be viewing them.

I have a Mega Tree and a Weber Tree on my roof.

The Mega has C6 bulbs while the Weber has the smaller M5's.

The mega is at the front of the roof, while the Weber is a good 20' further behind it AND about 10' higher on the peak (see my avatar).

When viewing them..I can't really tell any difference in the brightness of the different size bulbs...even from across the street (about 40' from the front of the house).

On the same subject:

Do professional grade new style LED strings fair better than the target/Walmart/Lowes/etc, or is it worth the expense of starting new with the "Retro LED" approach.

Starting out this year with year before lasts Phillips LED C6 style LEDs, and one string has died already (bulbs went dim or out on half the string)

Looking more toward next year than this year too.

a lot of complaints about the LED's from the box stores (corroding after one year)....

not so much from the reputable sellers of LED's like Creative Display Inc (mine are in their second year...look brand new)

JBullard wrote:

Thanks, CDI is the place to buy in the off season, I've read that over and over here, which leaves me to decide on the retro approach vs. the full string approach.

It would seem that Retro would let you replace the bulbs one at a time if the burn out and if the string goes bad (cut shorted etc) you can replace the string and transfer the bulbs. the question would be is that worth the additional expense :P

Anyone chosen to go the retro route? I would be interested in hearing how you decided to do so and if you would make the same decision again.

This may be stupid but can i just swap out old C7 inc. with new C7LED and use the sockets and strands i have? Or do I need to buy the entire new LED strings and bulbs together.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

When you say retro what does that mean?

It means that you unscrew the old bulb and replace it with a new LED bulb.

Retro: each bulb screws into the strand. One bulb missing, dead destroyed... string stays on

mini light style, bulb is missing/destroyed that part of the string is out.

My understanding is the retro style (with screw in sockets) lights are powered in parallel, i.e. each bulb connects hot to neutral.

Mini-light style would be in series were each bulb connects from the one before to the one after, such that if one is missing the current cannot flow and they all go out.

I swapped emails with Paul at cdi and that was exactly what he said just dispose of old C7 inc and replace with new LED C7. This would be musch better as to cutting them to exact lengths as well. Since next year will be my first and I have about 20 strings of C7 incs this makes sense for me to go that route. Im not sure on the minis seems like more trouble. I will just by the LED minis from him or Home depot and roll with it. I appreciate all the feedback and help. Im sure i will be a regular NEWBIE especially when it comes to the whole sequencing thing I am CLUELESS on the technical side.

Much appreciated

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I swapped emails with Paul at cdi and that was exactly what he said just dispose of old C7 inc and replace with new LED C7.  This would be musch better as to cutting them to exact lengths as well.  Since next year will be my first and I have about 20 strings of C7 incs this makes sense for me to go that route.  Im not sure on the minis seems like more trouble.  I will just by the LED minis from him or Home depot and roll with it.  I appreciate all the feedback and help.  Im sure i will be a regular NEWBIE especially when it comes to the whole sequencing thing I am CLUELESS on the technical side.

Much appreciated

I'm a newbie too, my first year at this.

I didn't think of cut to length, parallel/retro will allow that mini style will not.

Chick Kazienko wrote:

I swapped emails with Paul at cdi and that was exactly what he said just dispose of old C7 inc and replace with new LED C7. This would be musch better as to cutting them to exact lengths as well. Since next year will be my first and I have about 20 strings of C7 incs this makes sense for me to go that route. Im not sure on the minis seems like more trouble. I will just by the LED minis from him or Home depot and roll with it. I appreciate all the feedback and help. Im sure i will be a regular NEWBIE especially when it comes to the whole sequencing thing I am CLUELESS on the technical side.

Much appreciated

This is my first year with LOR also.

ALL my house lights are custom cut length C9 strings with retro LED bulbs. I have 1 bad socket on a high peek of my house that it looks like the socket has cracked in the freezing cold. The rest of the lights stay on fine.

ALL my bulds are from CDI ... GREAT customer support ... had a few bad LED C9 bulbs ... replaced by Paul promptly .... will be ordering from then next year also !

If you want to take a look go to Youtube and do a search for David Geall.

Dave