Light-O-Rama Forums

2010 Virtual Santa Display

toddmoon

People just cant enough of my Halographic Santa display. People watch it from the East side of the street and then they pull around to the south side window and try and figure it out and see if there is a real person in the window.

I took a video of it last year.

It is so simple to use. Any video projector will work with a DVD player and just use some inexpensive plastic in your window for the projection to display on and you are ready to go.

DVD can be ordered from:

http://christmaslightshow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=5

I have gotten a lot of mileage out of my 3D Santa. The younger kids love it and the older kids sit and look at and try and figure it out.

I had to go out of town for a couple of days and so I did not have 3D Santa going and I have gotten a lot of feed back wondering when he would be back on.

Now I just need to figure out what other kind of video I can show for next year. Any idea's or suggestions.

I am even considering putting in a larger picture window on the side of my home so I have an unobstructed view to project my image onto to give me more options on video's.

Ever since I saw your video I've been trying to figure a place where we could use something like that. I can't do it on the front of the house since that space is already being used. The most obvious side window is my office but I get way too much pleasure looking out and watching the show to give that up. But I'm working on it...

I actually have the wife talked into adding the window for display purposes. It will also add an excellent spot to view my light show and watch the weather and the snow storms from the warmth of my home.

I will install the window my self to help save on the cost of the installation. The new will will open up many more possibilities for me.

Now it just needs to actually snow for me. We have had five days of rain here in South Eastern Utah. On the other side of the state the rain is washing homes away. I guess it pays to live in the safest place in the world Blanding Utah.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-04-safefromnature_x.htm

toddmoon wrote:

I took a video of it last year.

It is so simple to use. Any video projector will work with a DVD player and just use some inexpensive plastic in your window for the projection to display on and you are ready to go.
What are you using for your screen? Your picture is crystal clear. I'm using the mylar from CLS and while the picture is good, it is nowhere near yours. I wonder if having our windows replaced recently (double glass, darkened, UV, argon gas, etc) causes mine to be less than great.

You're absolutely right. Everyone loves it, and it certainly generates lots of questions.
Is that a real person? A hologram? Why is he at your house right now?

Buy it for next year. You'll love it.

Richard

I am using some inexpensive 3 mill painters cover plastic. I tape it to my window. I have newer vinyl duoble glass, windows with uv protection, I do remove the window screen.

I am using a HD projector so that may make a difference as well. The projector is setup in a room with all of the inside lighting turned off.

I also have a window that faces to the south and after folks watch it then they drive around to my south window and try and figure it out.

I think for next year I am going to get a Santa Suite and walk out of the door and hand out candy canes to the kids. Just watching there expressions should be priceless!

I was given "permission" to project Virtual Santa this year. It really looks great. (It is not 3D, it's simply a silent movie you project in to a window.)

What I want to add is that I don't use any special screen at all. My dining room window has sheer curtains and I merely project directly on to them. I didn't expect it to, but it looks real. I think it looks so real because I don't use a screen. You see Santa inside a normal window.

I do use a decent projector. In my case, an Epson EX51 which is very bright.

In this video Santa frequently walks off screen. I have another front window with our indoor Christmas tree in it. It seems as though Santa is walking to our Christmas tree.

This will be in our display from now on. I highly recommend the video. It was only $20 or so.

48 channels 10,000 plus lights and the thing that gets the most attention is my 3D virtual Santa. If you are new to animation or just limited by size or location the 3D Santa is a home run for your display.

I have gotten so many comments and postive feed back on my Santa display.

• The topic was locked