Jump to content

more questions from a newbie


jasonbeaty
 Share

Recommended Posts

1) im dedicating 12 channels of a 32 channel controller to my arches should i build 2 arches with 6 channels or 3 arches with 4 channels (looking for the most WOW factor) sizes of arches depend on # of channels 2) on building my extension cords should i use spt1 or spt2 3) looking for a ballpark figure using incad's (minis) how many light strings can one channel hold and how many can a 16 channel controller hold thanks for your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go with 6 segments.. and use the sleeve method, will save you TONS of time making them.. With just 12 channels to play with, make your sleeved segments and plug corresponding segments of each arch together..

Arch 1, segment 1 into Arch 2, segment 1, then
arch 1, segment 2 into arch 2, segment 2, and so on..

you wont be able to chase from arch to arch, but they will both leap at the same time, the same way.. still looks cool..

If you can build 4 arches, it looks cooler still.. takes me abt 8 minutes to wrap a sleeve..

use 1/2" for the arch(support) and 1 1/2" pvc for the sleeve. I wrap my sleeves tightly and get abt 11" length/sleeve. Some wrap looser and get abt 16" sleeves.. makes for a bigger arch, but I needed a smaller footprint.. Some use the grey irrigation pipe for the sleeves as they're more flexible. Good luck

Attached files 228188=12564-2010-07-03 22-57-36.501.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

jasonbeaty wrote:

1) im dedicating 12 channels of a 32 channel controller to my arches should i build 2 arches with 6 channels or 3 arches with 4 channels (looking for the most WOW factor) sizes of arches depend on # of channels
Go with the 2 or more, just connect corresponding segments together
2) on building my extension cords should i use spt1 or spt2
doesnt matter which.. I use 6' brown spt1 extensions from the arch to the controller, I buy them by the box from HD, 1.14/ea
3) looking for a ballpark figure using incad's (minis) how many light strings can one channel hold and how many can a 16 channel controller hold thanks for your help

You should be able to run at least 8 arches off one controller.. each 100ct light set draws abt .33 amps for minis, abt .06 - .08amp for LEDs.. 6 segments/arch for you, 6 x .33, just abt 2amps/arch ? I was an English Major, but I think thats right..
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1/2" pvc, twine holding them arched.. bent these in the Spring, they "baked" in my 100+F garage during the summer.. I actually had to flatten them out quite a bit to slide the sleeves over them.

12" rebar in the ground, 6" sticking up to hold them up. they're only 3' high so no wind worries..

Attached files 228191=12566-PrebentArch1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TJ Hvasta wrote:

1/2" pvc, twine holding them arched.. bent these in the Spring, they "baked" in my 100+F garage during the summer.. I actually had to flatten them out quite a bit to slide the sleeves over them.

12" rebar in the ground, 6" sticking up to hold them up. they're only 3' high so no wind worries..


This will teach me to read older articles & use the search function more often.... I just finished wrapping my 1st arch, 8 segments on a 10' 3/4" PVC pipe. ALL IN ONE PIECE...:shock:

TJ I think I will unwrap it after the season is over and do your Sleeve idea and build a few more! :P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chuck :) Have you had a chance to come by the house yet? If you can break away, stop by and take a peek at the arches and MT.. the sleeves worked great, daytime you can see there's gaps between the sleeves, but at night, you'll never see them..

-60, north on VV, first left (Hampton), first left again (Mayfair), second right (Hopi), 4th on the left... only one 'hoppin' to 99.1FM ! . TV3 said t's supposed to rain today. so not sure if it'll be dry enough for tonights show. Wife had to bring in all the Misfit Toys because of the rain :( All the controllers with uncertain connections are covered up..

Two best things abt sleeve method.. oh, not my idea, Harbs came up with it a while ago on PlanetChristmas Forum, I (like many others) decided that that it was a terrific time-saver!! One) easy, easy maintance.. Bad section? Re-wrap another sleeve (abt 7minutes) and slide it on.. and Two) changing colors.. alternate red/white/blue for July 4th! Purple & Orange for Halloween :) Green & White fer St. Pattys Day..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TJ Hvasta wrote:



Two best things abt sleeve method.. oh, not my idea, Harbs came up with it a while ago on PlanetChristmas Forum, I (like many others) decided that that it was a terrific time-saver!! One) easy, easy maintance.. Bad section? Re-wrap another sleeve (abt 7minutes) and slide it on.. and Two) changing colors.. alternate red/white/blue for July 4th! Purple & Orange for Halloween :) Green & White fer St. Pattys Day..


And easier storage.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...