Light-O-Rama Forums

Fade tool questions

Rafter Bar R

I am trying to fade an RGB color and cannot seem to get the fade to work. The fade works on the red which is at 100 % but does not work with the green at 20%. Both colors should mix and fade at the same rate.

I'm not sure that I understand what you're trying to do, how you're trying to do it, or what results occur. Could you please perhaps post some before-and-after screenshots, saying exactly what you click on or whatever, step by step, and how the "after" pic differs from what you were hoping? Thanks.

I was trying to fade down a custom color in an RGB channel. I have red at 100% and green at 20% to get orange with an RGB LED strip. The color works at full brightness yet when I try to use the fade tool, it goes white and fades down. It turns all three RGB's on and fades them instead of using my custom color settings.

What it should do is fade both colors in exacting percentages, at the start of the fade, red is 100% and green is 20%, halfway red is at 50% and green is at 10%, at the end red is 25% and green is at 5%. Resulting in an orange fade to black. Either I am not doing something right or this is not available.

I think I understand now. I believe that you are using "Fade Down" tool, intensities set to 100% and 0%, and applying it directly to an RGB channel. Is that correct?

If so, the expected result of that is a fade from white to black. That's what's supposed to happen. I'll explain why in a moment, but first:

To instead fade from one color to another color, you can use the "Color Fade" tool. It will let you choose the colors that you want to start and end at.

The reason that using "Fade Down" on an RGB channel is expected to create a fade from white to black is that using any of the "normal" tools (like the fade tools or Shimmer tool or Toggle tool or whatever) on an RGB channel applies that effect to all constituent channels of the RGB channel.

So, when you tell the Sequence Editor "Fade an RGB channel from 100% to 0%", what you're really telling it to do is "Fade the RGB channel's R channel from 100% to 0%, fade its G channel from 100% to 0%, and fade its B channel from 100% to 0%".

You may also benefit from the "Fill" tool:

In cell 1, set red at 100% and green at 20%.

In cell 3 (or later) have a (temporary) fade up from black.

In cell 2 (and maybe others), start with black.

Then select the "Fill" tool and click in cell 2.

After this fade is set, you can turn cell 3 off.