Light-O-Rama Forums

Song selection

MikeA

I will probably get smacked here but how do you choose the songs you use in your shows?
I know we are supposed to play what we like since this is our hobby but come on guys.....some of the videos I have watched would put me to sleep if I had to sit and watch the show. And most people have kids in the car. I would recommend not sequencing to the background music I hear at my grandmothers nursing home.

Just sayin

MikeA wrote:

I would recommend not sequencing to the background music I hear at my grandmothers nursing home.

then don't...

but you can't say those"grandmother nursing home" songs are not liked by the person who sequenced them... (FYI..I have TWO different Nursing Home Buses that come by every other night)

I would imagine that of the thousands of computerized Christmas displays out there, there is not TWO that play all the same songs..

and thank goodness!!!

#1...you gotta please yourself...
#2...you gotta please your audience...if you want them to enjoy your show, if not, then see #1

1503772.GIF

MikeA wrote:

I would recommend not sequencing to the background music I hear at my grandmothers nursing home.

I agree with Jim - then don't!

I do my display the way I want to because I do it for my own enjoyment.

I have always refused any publicity. If someone sees the lights, want to stop and look and listen to them, then that's their choice.

If they like the songs I selected and sequenced then that's fine. If they don't, then that's fine also.

I didn't ask them to stop, I didn't charge them anything to look!

I do my display for ME!

I also do my display for Sharon and ME. Yes, it thrills me when I see a street full of cars, but the songs are all ones I like. (including Wizards in Winter) I have about 50% Christmas music and the rest is rock, oldies, theme songs, etc. Just last year a lady with indignant airs about her asked me what Pink Floyd has to do with Christmas. I told her that if she wants to do a synchronized show and doesn't want PF in it, that's her choice, but in my show I'll put the songs I like. While it's not my objective to offend anyone, if they don't like what they're hearing they can either wait a couple minutes for something better of they can move along and make space for someone else.

GaryBo wrote:

The last Pink Floyd concert I attended was back in the mid 70's.

Oddly enough I never saw them tour back in those days. But I've seen them every time the train has come around in the past twenty five years. I saw Roger Waters a couple times too, although I think PF without him is better than Roger Waters without them. But he puts on a good show and I've missed hearing his voice over the years, even though I don't agree with his politics. (Which I wish he - and all musicians - would leave backstage.)

Don - tell your sister to gird her loins. If I'm not too busy doing paid sequencing, I'm planning on doing the entire Dark Side of the Moon album for next year.

JBullard wrote:

MikeA wrote:

I have always refused any publicity. If someone sees the lights, want to stop and look and listen to them, then that's their choice.

If they like the songs I selected and sequenced then that's fine. If they don't, then that's fine also.

I do my display for ME!
+ what ever number we are up to in agreement. Could not have said it better.

I was just interested in starting some interesting conversation. I love all sequences. I have already started one to Lady GAGA for next year WHY...because I love the music!!

MikeA wrote:

I was just interested in starting some interesting conversation. I love all sequences. I have already started one to Lady GAGA for next year WHY...because I love the music!!

I'd be interested in seeing how crazy your lights will be compared to her crazy videos :shock: I like her music too. Wow, I can't believe I just admitted that :(

3 rules:

Rule 1. Pick a song that you like. If you are going to have to listen to it 1000 times while you break it into 5 second intervals, pick a song that you can listen to 1000 times without throwing up.

Rule 2. Pick a song that your spouse can listen to you listen to 1000 times. After all, if he/she hates it, don't make him/her listen to it 1000 times if you want to remain happily married

Rule 3. Do not pick a song that will get you thrown in jail by the FCC.

JBullard wrote:

MikeA wrote:

I do my display for ME!

Well said.

I went so far out of the box this year that all my new sequences are all songs that no one has ever heard of before, or they are directed towards thanking the military.

Take Roxie Dean from Nashville or somewhere down that way.......I have been in correspondence with her and I used her song "I'm A Soldiers Wife"......good song that honours those unsung heroes taking care of the home.

Now for next year they want me to use her Christmas song. I have a number of others I have been in correspondence with and I used their songs because it helped me with my salute to our troops.......a rarity in Canada via Christmas lights.

It was what I wanted and I ran with it. What stinks is the fact that the Canadian Armed Forces will not allow me to post my video links "on online letters to soldiers".

I have one other place to try.

"I have always refused any publicity". .........no publicity for me either, in fact they wont drive this far since Edmonton has a few Lor displays.

Dale W wrote:

Rule 3. Do not pick a song that will get you thrown in jail by the FCC.

Okay...I need an example!!! LOL

George Simmons wrote:

. While it's not my objective to offend anyone,

What??? Is this the real George typing?? I think Jim S. would have something to say about that. I do agree with everyone, do the songs you like. You will hear them too many times to try and do a song you don't like. Rock, country, Christmas, whatever. Like it was said, if they don't like it, they will move on. I have had people show up, listen to a song, go around the block to miss a song they do not like and come back for the next one.

shfr26 wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
. While it's not my objective to offend anyone,

What??? Is this the real George typing?? I think Jim S. would have something to say about that.

As a matter of fact I do!!!

George speaks the truth, so if the truth offends you, then that is YOUR problem...not Georges...

Geez, Jim, I don't know what to say... *sniff*

I learned one of the dirty secrets of politics by speaking the truth. The public, it seems, definitely prefers the truth from candidates. That's how I got elected to our esteemed City Council in 2002 - by telling voters the truth. But those same voters, it seems, prefers to hear what they want to hear from elected offivials, and if you keep telling them the truth, you'll be voted out of office in the next election. I think that speaks volumes about where our country is today.

Golly whiz Jim, I was only messing around. I myself love to read Georges post, most of the time he is right on. I did not mean to offend you or George. I LUV YA MAN!!!