Light-O-Rama Forums

GFI Shorting

Brett Lee

have a 20 foot tree display with 10 strands of 110 minis tripping 15amp GFI when operated with the other 15 channels. Anyway to trouble shoot without digging out 15 inches of snow around the tree. works fine stand alone no burnt strands. worked fine before the blizzard with old snow cover. all strands connected at the top of the pvc pipe with a lit ball on top.

Thanks

Brett Lee

brettlee198@msn.com

10 Strands is about 3.5 amps total.

The answer really lies in what else is plugged into the controller for your total amperage, and how bad is the snow/water shorting your connections?

GFI trips above the CB. I have these 8 channels now on a seperate 20 amp circuit. Know thats wrong, going a slow blow mentality. Have total of four of these trees that were working fine before the blizzard. Think I have snow short (leak) in the assembly or cord connections. Don't know where else to check. Any way to test load/continuity on each individual tree, not an electrician. Had three trees at a 100% before tripping.

Thank you for your response.

Had very much the same issue after a bad rain storm here in NH. Only one controller was a problem - popping a 20a gfci at 100% intensity - 50% was fine, that's where i run it during the non-show night. Total current draw for that controller is less than 5a.

I imagine that its a combined leakage current issue. Hopefully everything will dry out before Thursday!

Hi Bret, your problem is as you know, water in one of your connections, afraid your best bet is to dig out the connections.
Just as a basic primer for you, GFIs pop because not all of the electricity going out the black wire, comes back in the white one. Meaning that some of the electricity has fond a way to get to ground without having to be on the white wire to do it. These things are VERY sensitive, and can trip with only a few thousands of an amp.
The circuit breaker works off load, it is it a 15 amp breaker, it will pop when you try to use more that 15 amps. It doesn't care if the power comes back or not, it's all about how much electricity you are using.

To help minimize GFIs popping, I recommend limiting how much power you put on one GFI, and try to keep your connections off the ground, and whenever possible put the extension male plugins horizontal so that water can drain out of the extension cords.

Fellow Minnesotan. . .Thanks for the reply.

Hate laying out cords in October with unheard of, 50 degrees and digging up in 0 degrees with a Yellow Lab bouncing off you!