Light-O-Rama Forums

Video For TV Media

captainron19

My local news channel 6 ABC Action News wanted to do a piece on the lights at our house.

They have a real "Catchy" Intro tune for the beginning of their news program so I got an MP3 of it and programmed a quick sequence with the lights. I was pressed for time because they wanted to air it right away so I didn't get it to be the best possible.

They played it yesterday morning on the air and so far they have played it on every news cast yesterday and so far 3 times this morning.

Here is the video

http://www.vimeo.com/17710221

George Simmons wrote:

Good job! At least you made their terrible-sounding theme music LOOK better.

Thanks! I kind of like the song - it sort of Grows on you... must be a "Jersey Thing"

jimswinder wrote:

what a neat idea!!!

I am going to do a sequence for our local TV stations tonight!!!! lol

Tell you what Jim.... its a great idea if you want the coverage. With their own song they started playing it yesterday morning...

So far they have played it

Sunday 6am
Sunday 7am
Sunday 9am
Sunday 5pm
Sunday 11pm
Monday 5am
Monday 7 am

Now I am waiting to watch the news at noon to see if they are still playing it.

We are collecting food and $$ for our local food pantry and I have a big container out front for food donations that usually has to be emptied twice a week. I have had to have it unloaded 3 times in the last 2 days!

captainron19 wrote:

I kind of like the song - it sort of Grows on you... must be a "Jersey Thing"

At first I was ready to make some smart-ass remark about "Jersey things". (Oh, how it hurts - so many ways to go with that...) But then I realized the same thing happened to me with the Miami Vice theme this year. A client had me sequence it for his display and the first few times through I didn't care for it much at all. But as his sequence took shape the song began to grow on me and and I wound up doing it for my yard too. As it turns out, I think it's one of my best sequencing jobs yet.

captainron19 wrote:

Tell you what Jim.... its a great idea if you want the coverage. With their own song they started playing it yesterday morning...

We are collecting food and $$ for our local food pantry and I have a big container out front for food donations that usually has to be emptied twice a week. I have had to have it unloaded 3 times in the last 2 days!

I LOVE the coverage...(I'm an Aries and need all the attention!!) :P

We will have a story air tomorrow night that a local show did (Evening Magazine)...came out a few weekends and did some shooting while we were setting up and then came out again for our Christmas Lighting the Saturday after Thanksgiving for about two hours.

We are also collecting for the local Food Bank (have to unload t every night) and two other charities..so really I want the coverage to increase the donations...

jimswinder wrote:

We are also collecting for the local Food Bank (have to unload t every night) and two other charities..so really I want the coverage to increase the donations...

oh you will increase it. We have a money drop box also. Last year when we collected for the food pantry it was a last minute setup so they brought over a garbage bucket for the food to go in.... spent every night out there grabbing one dollar bills out of it so I built a cash box with the new food container this year but I am going to have to build a new bigger cash box for next year. Saturday night you couldnt fit one more bill in there and I think we have been averaging a little over $100 a night for the food pantry just in $$$

captainron19 wrote:

oh you will increase it. We have a money drop box also. Last year when we collected for the food pantry it was a last minute setup so they brought over a garbage bucket for the food to go in.... spent every night out there grabbing one dollar bills out of it so I built a cash box with the new food container this year but I am going to have to build a new bigger cash box for next year. Saturday night you couldnt fit one more bill in there and I think we have been averaging a little over $100 a night for the food pantry just in $$$

to be honest...after hearing/seeing what other displays were collecting cash wise, I have been disappointed with our cash donations...less than $300 since Thanksgiving and $75 of that was from a friend in Texas...

Perhaps they can't see the donation box (not that obvious for "obvious" reasons)...

Hopefully it will increase after tomorrows nights segment on TV and they mention the different charities and our website.

jimswinder wrote:

captainron19 wrote:

to be honest...after hearing/seeing what other displays were collecting cash wise, I have been disappointed with our cash donations...less than $300 since Thanksgiving and $75 of that was from a friend in Texas...

Perhaps they can't see the donation box (not that obvious for "obvious" reasons)...

Hopefully it will increase after tomorrows nights segment on TV and they mention the different charities and our website.

I built a backlit light up sign for the food donations and I put a "$" sign on it with an arrow pointing to the lockbox mounted on the side of the sign. It definitely helped grab people's attention I think

captainron19 wrote:

I built a backlit light up sign for the food donations and I put a "$" sign on it with an arrow pointing to the lockbox mounted on the side of the sign.

Yeah...remember seeing it after you posted the pics...

• The topic was locked