Light-O-Rama Forums

My First at Video

nader

I have been trying to get a decent video but I keep getting a mosaic shadowing on the finished product. I am going to try a different setting on the camera tonight to try to get rid of this. I have been shooting with a sports setting due to the fast moving portions of the show. I may try the fireworks setting to capture the color. Regular settings make the lights appear white. I use a Sony DCR-SR45 video camera. Anyone have experience with this camera who could give me a few hints?
Thanks
Terry

Terry Hurrle wrote:

I have been trying to get a decent video but I keep getting a mosaic shadowing on the finished product. I am going to try a different setting on the camera tonight to try to get rid of this. I have been shooting with a sports setting due to the fast moving portions of the show. I may try the fireworks setting to capture the color. Regular settings make the lights appear white. I use a Sony DCR-SR45 video camera. Anyone have experience with this camera who could give me a few hints?
Thanks
Terry

You should not be using the sports setting because really there is nothing "moving" in the display. It is just blinking. The "sports" setting changes the shutter speed to a higher setting so you do not get blurring if an object is moving across the screen fast.

It does not matter what kind of camera you use, anything that does automatic exposure is going to overexpose shooting Christmas lights making your colors look pastel or even white in certain parts.

See if you can turn off auto exposure and manually adjust it yourself. If you can't, see if there is a "spotlight" or "stage" setting. Usually this setting on the camera with underexpose it more than normal which will bring back colors and not have blown out video.

Shooting Christmas Lights is one of the most challenging things to video.

George Simmons wrote: What kind of dripping icicles are you using in the evergreen tree?

i found the Gemmy led shooting star icicles at HD could not find enough to fill the tree. all sold out. been to 4 stores and on line. next year buy more.

and thanks for the comments. need to try getting video earlyer in the evening

• The topic was locked