Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR software suite amazingly slow

Beth Grupp

First-time user having purchased the Standard edition, and trying to build my first sequence of 16 channels with 2 controllers running on a Sony Viao laptop with Windows Vista. This laptop was custom created for movie / video editing so it has advanced RAM, graphics card, etc.

After starting the sequence editor, whenever I press ANY key or click on any menu selection, the software switches to "Not Responding" and requires 10-15 seconds minimum per keystroke before returning to a usable condition. I have tried adjusting monitor configurations, hardware accellerator changes, registry clean-up, etc., but no improvement.

Any ideas?

Except that it would not account for several of the issues, make sure that all the audio system enhancements are turned off. At least on Vista, every time you went to play audio, the system would rediscover the entire audio system, causing several seconds of delay. Also, make sure you have tried after a reboot.

I will also say that what you are experiencing is definitely not typical. One of the songs for our city show (2 minute song, right around 1,000 channels) was sequenced on a netbook, with an external monitor. No complaints at all about speed, and he turned out some excellent work with that setup...

Hi Beth, Lets start with the basics, run windows updates till there are none left, this may take a while and require a few reboots and checking for more updates.

2) Do a scan for malware with vipre rescue, it's free and will rule out malware http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

3) have you disabled user the access control, if not try that, here's how http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

4) what antivirus are you running? Try disabling it to see if that is causing the problem?

Thank you for the responses:

* I am running v2.8.12 Standard
* Graphics accellerator is on (this was a suggestion for a different problem, but I thought to give it a try -- it was already on and did not need adjusting)
* Audio enhancements & effects are OFF, and to be certain there wasn't a conflict I turned off the ability to take exclusive control mode
* Malware & antivirus software were run -- no issues. Antivirus is turned off during the running of Sequence Editor
* Windows Vista is kept up to date.
* User access control & other Windows pests were disabled the day I opened the box.
* There are no issues with other applications including performance hogs such as creating my own Flash media, using Fireworks or Dreamweaver.
* The only operational performance issue in the event logs relates to "Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized. A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time." This error only occurs when running LOR software, and does not occur at any other time even with multiple applications & web browsers running simultaneously.

There was no problem with the LOR software when running the Hardware Utility. The controllers connected and tested properly and no software delay.

Would an uninstall / cleanup / reinstall be appropriate?

Thanks
Beth

Beth Grupp wrote:

* I am running v2.8.12 Standard

Beth,

Version 2.8 had some flaws that may or may not account for your problems if you have any RGB channels setup. Potentially the LMS files have duplicate unused channels in them and may be multiplying. I'm not 100% certain, but this would be an explaination for what you are experiencing.

Couple of questions and suggestions.

1. Upgrade to 2.9.4. This will get you out of the 2.8.x problem area.
2. What size is the lms file you are working with?
3. How many channels do you have?

I'd suggest uploading your LMS file as an attachment to your message and people can look at it and see if they experience what you are experiencing.

Howard

If u have another computer, install LOR on it and see what happens. I am using 3 different computers.

Show laptop- XP, service pack3, single core processor, 1GB ram

Sequencing computer-same as above

3rd computer-Win7 pro, dualcore processor, 4GB ram

Also my show and offlline computer does not have a lot of extras on it as far as unnecessary software/programs. No operational problems with any using LOR during sequencing. No slow operations.

But I would difinetly try another computer

Beth Grupp wrote:

Would an uninstall / cleanup / reinstall be appropriate?

Hi Beth, I'd try the uninstall / reinstall.

The CPU should not spike like that on that computer. I played with LOR on an old P4 xp laptop with 256 ram and it responded better than you are describing.
here is the link to the registry clean up. uninstall, then run the cleanup., then reboot and reinstall.
One other thing that may or may not help but cant hurt would be to run ccleaner before reinstalling, it will clean out all the temp files. http://www.ccleaner.com just look at the options and uncheck that you do not want it to clean first.

I'm thankful for all the ideas. . .especially on a Sunday deep into the Christmas season.

I uninstalled, cleaned, and reinstalled with version 2.9.4. I then re-configured and tested the Hardware -- all went smoothly. Unfortunately, the same CPU spike / unresponsiveness occurred when trying to use the sequence editor.

I then took the next advice and installed it on another computer running XP. The Sequence Editor came up neat as could be, but then shut down due to .dll problems. The second attempt seems to be working. I have one other computer to try if this unit doesn't work.

To answer previous questions, there was no LMS file to upload -- I never got that far. 2nd answer -- I'm only using 16 channels (didn't want to overdo on my first year).

I'm anxious to get a basic animation running, so I'll just leave Computer-1 alone for the moment and use the software on Computer-2

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
Beth

There's been a known issue in the past with Intel video adapters. Does your OS have all the latest graphics drivers and patches?

You probably don't want to hear this, but Vista sucks. I would imediately get it off your computer. Either downgrade to XP or upgrade to Windows 7. Everyone I know that had Vista hated it and went back to XP. I hope your other computer doesn't have Vista. Sorry, I had to rant.

scubado wrote:

You probably don't want to hear this, but Vista sucks. I would imediately get it off your computer. Either downgrade to XP or upgrade to Windows 7. Everyone I know that had Vista hated it and went back to XP. I hope your other computer doesn't have Vista. Sorry, I had to rant.

Guess you don't want to meet me then. I'd ruin your record. Been on Vista for 2 years now. No worries here.

scubado wrote:

I'm with Don, no problems with Vista since installing SP1 way back when it was first released.