Light-O-Rama Forums

curious on how these decorations work

USCS31

hello. hopefilly i'm in the right area to post this! i have two questioons both for the same subject. hopefully someone could guide me to a website that instructs a person how to make these or where you can buy them.

1. i saw a santa claus face that lights up and when he speaks his mouth moves. it looks like it's all lights and it was hung on someones garage (if i remember the video correctly).

2. i was watching a t.v. show about christmas lights the other night and was amazed how this guy put a curtain of x-mas lights over his garage door but behind the curtain of lights looked like a 3d present box spinning.

any idea(s) on how to make these yourself or where to buy them? thank you!

#1. WOW lights sell them and several people make thier own. Just do a search on faces and you should come up with something on making the face.

Don't know about the second question.

You have come to the right forum for your answers.

Our blinky lights are driven by computer software that you can purchase here. Light o Rama software is to me the most user friendly software out there. Yes there is a learning curve, but it's doable even for a dummy like me.

The software drives circuit boards (controllers), also available here.

Your lights are connected to the controllers.

Hope this helps you get started. theres tons of info here for you to get started.

It's very addicting, so welcome to the madness my friend.

Vic

After the Christmas rush and teardown I will be updating my website. One of the things I will be adding will be a how to on how to build a singing face. I would say as a guess I should be done by April or May. Enough time to build one for next year!

thank you for all the information that you have supplied! i will be looking into this after work today! please post a link to your "how to" section when you're done with it so we can check it out! have a good one! jeff

ok, i figured out the "chase" button thanks to all your help! my second question i still haven't figured out and have been doing some searching! the 3d spinning gift box on the guys garage door is simply stunning me and i'm at a dead end! i saw it on the TLC channels about 2 weeks ago when they had the Christmas Lights show on. This one guy had this 3d spinning gift box behind a curtain (draped) lights. if anyone knows a place on a DIY website or if they would like to share how to do it, that would be awesome! thank you and GOD Bless!

USCS31 wrote:

my second question i still haven't figured out and have been doing some searching! the 3d spinning gift box on the guys garage door is simply stunning me and i'm at a dead end! i saw it on the TLC channels about 2 weeks ago when they had the Christmas Lights show on. This one guy had this 3d spinning gift box behind a curtain (draped) lights. if anyone knows a place on a DIY website or if they would like to share how to do it, that would be awesome! thank you and GOD Bless!

That could have been done using a "light curtain".

Can't find a link to the mfg website at the moment.

It is a special controller and a curtain of RGB pixel lights

USCS31 wrote:

ok, i figured out the "chase" button thanks to all your help! my second question i still haven't figured out and have been doing some searching! the 3d spinning gift box on the guys garage door is simply stunning me and i'm at a dead end! i saw it on the TLC channels about 2 weeks ago when they had the Christmas Lights show on. This one guy had this 3d spinning gift box behind a curtain (draped) lights. if anyone knows a place on a DIY website or if they would like to share how to do it, that would be awesome! thank you and GOD Bless

Well here is the answer to your question, its called Galaxia Lighting (web site here: http://www.galaxialighting.com) You basically are making a LED TV screen. There is an article in Planet Christmas Mag in the Spring 2010 issue page 22-24. Enjoy and hope this helps.

Jeremy B.

brownjm74 wrote:

USCS31 wrote:
ok, i figured out the "chase" button thanks to all your help! my second question i still haven't figured out and have been doing some searching! the 3d spinning gift box on the guys garage door is simply stunning me and i'm at a dead end! i saw it on the TLC channels about 2 weeks ago when they had the Christmas Lights show on. This one guy had this 3d spinning gift box behind a curtain (draped) lights. if anyone knows a place on a DIY website or if they would like to share how to do it, that would be awesome! thank you and GOD Bless

Well here is the answer to your question, its called Galaxia Lighting (web site here: http://www.galaxialighting.com) You basically are making a LED TV screen. There is an article in Planet Christmas Mag in the Spring 2010 issue page 22-24. Enjoy and hope this helps.

Jeremy B.

No, I saw the same program, and it was not Galaxia. I'm familar with it.

It was a light curtain, not strings of Galaxia.

JBullard wrote:

As far as the TLC Invasion of the Christmas Lights (
) is featuring Steel City Christmas (steelcitychristmas.com) and they have a "gift" (see above video) that is rotating on their garage door. And, based on their website and other videos on you-tube, Steel City Christmas is using Galaxia. Galaxia is one of their sponsors. Sorry John :).

If this isn't the clip that USCS31 is thinking about then, USCS31 or John could you be more specific on which episode your talking about.

Jeremy B.

brownjm74 wrote:

JBullard wrote:

) is featuring Steel City Christmas (steelcitychristmas.com) and they have a "gift" (see above video) that is rotating on their garage door. And, based on their website and other videos on you-tube, Steel City Christmas is using Galaxia. Galaxia is one of their sponsors. Sorry John :).

If this isn't the clip that USCS31 is thinking about then, USCS31 or John could you be more specific on which episode your talking about.

Jeremy B.

Hey, I will stand corrected !!!!!! Thanks for the clairification

ty guys! i checked galaxia website....pretty cool place! actually the one i'm talking about is in the youtube video! that's the one i saw! going to see if the other website you mentioned has it! i appreciate ALLLLLLL your help everyone! you made my day!

JBullard wrote:

brownjm74 wrote:
JBullard wrote:

Jeremy B.

Hey, I will stand corrected !!!!!! Thanks for the clairification

Now if only I can get my wife to admit when Im right! :P (doesn't happen that often). I just happen to know this because last year I saw this clip and wondered the exact same thing. Once I saw the price, I decided that there is other things I can do that are cheeper first.

Jeremy B>

This guy does an awesome display at making mouth movements. He's one of my followers on youtube, thats the only way I knew of his work.

He maybe a member here?? He's got some great vid's. If you get a chance to look @ them, please do