Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequencing channels vs tracks

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

When you guys are sequencing with multiple channels lets say over 100 which do you prefer to use just channels or do you like to break things up into tracks I am working on next years sequencing and getting ready to draw my house design in the animated viewer thought I would see what the big boys do to make things easier. :P

I don't have that large of a display, 64 channels but I started using tracks for the first time this year and found that if I assigned certain elements of my display to it's own track I could have each track with its own timing marks. before I had a bunch of timing marks all over the place and sequencing was a real chore. Now I find it a whole lot easier.

Hi Don

I use a track per controller address

01 is track 1 (south driveway controller)

02 is track 2 (north driveway controller)

this helps me to mix and match sequence timings

I also create a 1 channel track i.e. (labeled spare track 7)

for a controller address that I presently do not use

This does create a great deal of warnings in the verifier for unused channels

Starting with controller 01 thru 0F I have reserved for controllers

Address 10 is the IDMX1000 that is in Legacy mode

(that covers addresses 10 thru 1F)

Address 20 is CCR

That is how I do it --- probably not the best but it works for me

Frank A.:P

Don Gillespie wrote:

... thought I would see what the big boys do to make things easier. :P

Hey, if you're gonna get personal and start commenting on my weight, there's quite a few insulting things I can come up with regarding Canucks, you know...

I've used tracks the way Mike described since S2 first came out. Right now, including the CCRs, I'd be scrolling up and down through over 700 channels without tracks to divvy them up into more manageable clusters. In my opinion, that would be practically unworkable. I only wish it was as easy to move tracks up and down as it is to move channels.

I am running 405 channels(no ccr) all on one track. I figures i would switch for next year and do groups and use multiple tracks. Lets say you have 10 tracks, how do you or can you even have them all on one master track?

I'm using about 250 channels this year - still all in one track.

But next year, mind you, I'll start really early and figure out this whole tracks business. And some of the recently introduced features.

Rick

redsea300 wrote:

Lets say you have 10 tracks, how do you or can you even have them all on one master track?

Yes, you can if you want to. When you create extra tracks, it's just a matter of whether you move existing channels or copy existing channels into those new tracks. Personally, all my channels appear only one place - I have no duplicate channels. With my memory that's asking for nothing but trouble.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

redsea300 wrote:
Lets say you have 10 tracks, how do you or can you even have them all on one master track?

Yes, you can if you want to. When you create extra tracks, it's just a matter of whether you move existing channels or copy existing channels into those new tracks. Personally, all my channels appear only one place - I have no duplicate channels. With my memory that's asking for nothing but trouble.

So let me get this straight can you view the other tracks while you are working on one track and can you copy and paste from one track to the other. it is sounding like this might be the way to go

You right click on your channel you want to move.Move it to a newly named track.Then just add the other elements you want to that track.

Whether or not you can view one track while working on the other depends on physical things like the size of your monitor and how many channels you have in the tracks that are adjacent to each other. Copy and paste is between channels - it has nothing to do with the track structure.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

Whether or not you can view one track while working on the other depends on physical things like the size of your monitor and how many channels you have in the tracks that are adjacent to each other. Copy and paste is between channels - it has nothing to do with the track structure.

Ok now that I have some info on the track vs channels how about clip boards whats your thinking with these I see I can add a clip board but I am not sure on the concept yet any one use these?

Don

Say you have an 8 channel arch.You make a pattern with the arch running.You can highlight it and save it to a clip board.You can name that clip board arch......After you have saved it you can use it later by checking the box arch .....It saves that pattern to a clip board.

Guest Don Gillespie

wallleyes wrote:

Don

Say you have an 8 channel arch.You make a pattern with the arch running.You can highlight it and save it to a clip board.You can name that clip board arch......After you have saved it you can use it later by checking the box arch .....It saves that pattern to a clip board.

Well that would save hours of sequencing sounds like a really good tool to take advantage of. now the last question I have for you big guys is the animation viewer because my show is going to be a lot bigger next year I can not remember how to create a new animation viewer so I can see what the show will look like while I am programing any ideas or better yet how do you do this I have last years and this years but my memory is bad

Don

After you open your animation viewer click on the upper left arrow.Then you can click on draw below that and select the track and item you want to draw.

Don Gillespie wrote:

wallleyes wrote:
Don

Well that would save hours of sequencing sounds like a really good tool to take advantage of. now the last question I have for you big guys is the animation viewer because my show is going to be a lot bigger next year I can not remember how to create a new animation viewer so I can see what the show will look like while I am programing any ideas or better yet how do you do this I have last years and this years but my memory is bad

It does save alot of time sequencing.I also change my timimg in my timing grids alot to make my clip board match the beat of the music.I do not use any of the wizards.To much of a hassle to me.

Guest Don Gillespie

wallleyes wrote:

Don

After you open your animation viewer click on the upper left arrow.Then you can click on draw below that and select the track and item you want to draw.

Ok another dumb question if I am going to use tracks are you saying that I can draw each track indivdually in the animation viewer and if that is possible when the sequence is finished will you be able to view the whole display or can you only see one track at a time

Your elements in your display stay just where you have them set up.All the tracks do is pretty much group the channels together for you.You will see every element you have turned on in the display.you will see all tracks that are sequenced light up at the same time.

I break my 528 channels into 7 tracks...

Mini Trees
Mega Tree
Weber Tree
House Lights
Streamers
Mega Arches
Mini Arches

What I DID NOT do, and I think George suggested it, is have an 8th Track that has ALL the channels on it...will try that next year.

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

I break my 528 channels into 7 tracks... Brilliant idea

Mini Trees
Mega Tree
Weber Tree
House Lights
Streamers
Mega Arches
Mini Arches

What I DID NOT do, and I think George suggested it, is have an 8th Track that has ALL the channels on it...will try that next year.

Well it seems like a no brainer for sequencing purposes, George what would be the resasoning for a track with all the channels on it?