Light-O-Rama Forums

leaping arches

strobe dave

Hi all,

here we go for newbie daft question of the day,

i have made 2 small arches as a first time user and have 4 sets of lights on each, to operate them in the leaping mode from one set of light to the next, do i have to use 8 seperate channels ?? pretty sure i am on the right track but just wanted to confrim ??

any help please

From someone who has 2 arches of 6 sections each.

It all depends .... you can either use 8 so they can leap independently or you can use for but each arch will do the exact same thing.

You can take a look here to see my arches in action.

http://www.vimeo.com/user5284462/videos

Dave

Or, you could use four channels and wire them as mirror images of each other. Given that four channels is below the minimum most people would recommend for smooth arch "movement", I think it might look better mirroring each other.

As for the "daft question of the day", that honor typically goes to Jim W around here. Granted, you're off to a good start, but you've still got a lonnnnnng way to go before you make it into Jim's league. Keep trying though, and we'll revisit this in a few months.

Look at my videos (See Below) the 2 arches with 9 channels are wired in parallel, so only 9 channels on a controller are used.

it's your display and you can do what you want :)

I made 3 arches before I realized that to do them all separate would require 24 of my 32 channels. once I thought that through, I ended up using the same 8 channels to do all 3 of them. here is the video

I have 4, 4 channel arches. The only ones who can really tell are us guys who see so many of them. The average public you are trying to impress will never see the difference. Save the channels and build more arches.

Jim Saul wrote:

it's your display and you can do what you want ;)

It all comes down to what effect you are trying to do or how you want the arches to animate !

I am thinking of increasing the # of arches next year but pairing them up to save on channels.

As the other person said ... to the general public they will still have the wow effect !

Dave